FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Drive/ Preview Quality capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandyoforange
External Drive/ Preview Quality capture
on Nov 6, 2002 at 7:03:38 pm

I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 7 to edit my kid’s soccer digital videotapes and make a 30-minute highlight real for the team.

I started by using the "Preview mode" to capture more film onto the computer. I realized when you render a movie you have to put all the original cassettes back in the dv camera to make a quality movie.

#1 I have over 12 cassettes so far with video, this is cumbersome to keep putting in and taking out each cassette as it renders.

#2 I made a small sample movie just using 3 frames of video and it had a problem rendering. It could not find the original video on the cassette.

I am hoping that if I set up an external hard drive (maybe a firewire) I can capture in "Full Quality" mode and avoid these problems.

Does anyone have suggestions on an external hard drive?

Return to posts index

Matt Sowder
Re: External Drive/ Preview Quality capture
on Nov 6, 2002 at 8:58:57 pm

I take it you don't have extra room in the PC for another drive. Personally, I love the Western Digital Special Edition drives 80 to 120 Gigabytes with an 8 Meg buffer. It zips along. I am adding two to ADS External HD kits. I expect good results from them.

Maxtor's are good I hear but for the speed and money, I am headed to the above solution. I have both external and internal drives for storage, FWIW.

Matt Sowder
Chowderheads

"Living in 1D, Working in 2D, Dreaming of 3D"
-Me, March, 1998

Return to posts index

ffresh
on Nov 14, 2002 at 5:14:46 am

Matt,
I just disassembled a WD SE 120Gb drive from a ADS Pyro drive kit (Oxford 911 chipset). I could not get it to not drop frames while capturing (Matrox RX100)no matter what I tried. I, also have a Maxtor 7200 80Gb FW (2mb cache) which did not exhibit this behavior. I even went as far (for testing purposes) as to install the WD 120 into the Maxtor case. This improved the situation, but did not entirely correct it (still dropped frames). I don't know if there is an adverse effect to the large cache in a FW Ext drive or what, but that's my experience. I was going to email ADS about this but I ordered another WD SE 120Gb drive and set up a 0 raid today so I may not get around to it.

Your mileage may differ ;^)
Fred

Return to posts index

ffresh
on Nov 14, 2002 at 5:17:42 am

Matrox states on their support pages that Firewire will not provide the throughput needed for video. This was my experience. See my other post to Matt in this thread

Fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]