FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Videoguys! Major diffs. between Adobe & A

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikek
Hey Videoguys! Major diffs. between Adobe & A
on Oct 21, 2002 at 5:50:55 pm

Videoguys,

Within the next 2 weeks I have to purchase a complete video editing suite for the company I work for. What are the MAJOR differences between Adobe Premiere, Avid Xpress, & FC Pro?

Why are Avid & FCP considered "standards" for the tv/film industry?

I am also looking to build a system with the quickest turnaround time - from capturing video to having an edited video burned onto a DVD - is the Matrox RTX100 the best for this (thus limiting me to Premiere)? Are there other FAST choices?

As for DVD burners, do you recommend the Pioneer A05 or the Sony DVD±RW/±R/CD-RW Drive (DRU-500A)??

I know I have a lots of questions, but I need a lot of help.

Thanks!
Mike

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Hey Videoguys! Major diffs. between Adobe &am
on Oct 21, 2002 at 9:12:11 pm

First, all 3 NLE apps are good and each has it's own strengths. Premiere w/ a real-time card like the RTX.100 or DV Storm2 or Pro-One RTDV adds a ton of performance and cool FX. We feel that premiere is best suited for projects up to an hour long.

Xpress DV really shines on long format projects. That's were it's stability, media mangement and workflow really come through.

I've never been a big FCP fan. While it's got a very loyal following, I just think XDV is a better product. Now that it is avialble on the Mac, to me it's the clear winner for DV Film making.

As for the DVD burner issue, we fell DVD-R is the winning format for you. The media is cheap and it plays back in the most DVD players. We use -RW while we work and test our projects, then burn away to -R. Yes, the sony has the added +R/+RW compatibility, but to me it's addition by subtraction. When the dust settles you get all the formats, but you don't get any better performance or compatibility. Pioneer has a proven track record. The A03 & A04 are workhorses that get the job done. The A05 will be just as good.

You've asked some great questions and i've had to try and answer them in a few paragraphs. Give us a call. We can go into much greater detail.

GAry

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

mikek
on Oct 21, 2002 at 9:28:14 pm

Gary,

Thanks!! Great info. I WILL call to ask some more detailed questions. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Return to posts index

grinner
on Nov 1, 2002 at 4:25:20 am

Avid became the industry standard because of it's stability and speed. I don't put XDV in this catagory.
FCP is popular mainly because of it's price for what it does. For a grand, your editing with more bells and whistles than an Avid Xpress. Throw it on a cinewave, koda or digital voodoo equiped power house box and you've got yourself a killer uncompressed SDI, HD-ready bad boy for less than 30k.
Premiere is a good tool to introduce people to editing. It's bugginess and limitations are masked by a very cheap price tag and a friendly interface.
As for DVD burners, I recomend none. Every manufacturer has VCR-like recorders now. Unless your authoring, I'd go with one. I use a little pioneer (forget the model number) and It's freakin' great. I just hit record while I'm laying off to tape and it's done processing before I finish typing lables.
good luck and have fun

grin
http://my.cybersoup.com/grinner

Return to posts index

danothemano
on Nov 18, 2002 at 6:56:41 pm

As for the DVD burner issue, we fell DVD-R is the winning format for you. The media is cheap and it plays back in the most DVD players. We use -RW while we work and test our projects, then burn away to -R. Yes, the sony has the added +R/+RW compatibility, but to me it's addition by subtraction. When the dust settles you get all the formats, but you don't get any better performance or compatibility. Pioneer has a proven track record. The A03 & A04 are workhorses that get the job done. The A05 will be just as good.

My first burner was a pioneer. I now use Sony DRU-120A. It's a GREAT burner. Now with the new Sony and the ability to write to both formats, in my mind it's the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]