FORUMS: list search recent posts

what's the best - FCP, Prem 6 or Avid Xpress DV3&g

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Lord
what's the best - FCP, Prem 6 or Avid Xpress DV3&g
on Jul 15, 2002 at 10:29:45 pm

Based on an educational establishment with it varied range of non- broadcast editing needs by it's students, which of the above is best with windows, and for what reasons? I am thinking of less than thirty users at college rather than University level.
I will appreciate any response, no matter how detailed or based on whatever your experiences.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dan Bettan
Re: what's the best - FCP, Prem 6 or Avid Xpress D
on Jul 16, 2002 at 2:12:56 pm

Steve,

I'd most recommend the Avid Xpress DV 3.5 for a few reasons. First, it's an Avid world. 90% of prime-time shows, commercials, movies, etc...are produced with Avid machines. The interface for the Xpress DV is the same as it is on the half million and million dollar machines. So, not only is all your footage fully portable to any Avid system or studio for "touching up", but in the case of your students, they'll be receiving valuable training in a vocational field that will have instant credibility in the real world.

Second, the software requires a firewire interface with your computer, and will run it's real-time applications on a 1-gig machine or better, so the actual computer required is much cheaper than a MAC. And educationally priced at $999.95 a seat, or $799.95 a seat for 10+, it's a really good price for this software.

I run the educational division here at Videoguys called Specialty Video Supply. Feel free to e-mail me at dan@specialtyvideosupply.com or call me at (800) 323-2325 x-123 for further info.

THX,
Dan Bettan
Specialty Video Supply
(800) 323-2325 x-123

Return to posts index

grinner
Re: what's the best - FCP, Prem 6 or Avid Xpress D
on Nov 1, 2002 at 4:35:35 am

XDV for the reason that your teaching students who aspire to work in this field. Avid is the industry standard and XDV has the same interface they will be using on Media Composer and Symphony when they get into the real world. It'll be familiar to them and make them more marketable at the same time.
A couple of seats of FCP isn't a bad idea. A few animation workstations would be good too.
I see no reason to have Premiere in the building.

grin
http://my.cybersoup.com/grinner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]