FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 export halts at 35 min. mark. . . why?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spmc
MPEG2 export halts at 35 min. mark. . . why?
by
on Jul 8, 2002 at 7:41:31 pm

Hello,
I am running Premiere 6.01 with a Pinnacle DV500 capture card and version 4 drivers. When I try to export a project from P6 as a MPEG2 file to burn on DVD, my project gets to about the 35 minute mark on the timeline and I get the following error message "Adobe Error, memory is extremely low, close windows and movies to free up additional memory". After this message pops up and I click "OK", the computer freezes and that's that.
I have tried with 2 different projects and two different encoders (Ligos v2 and Pinnacle) and gotten the error every time at the same spot. I have closed most other applications to get my system resources up to 94% free. I have tried a variety of virtual memory settings with no luck. I have cleaned and defragged my HDs, no success. I have changed my cache settings in system.ini, no luck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled P6 and Pinnacle (upgrading to the v4 drivers at the sametime; I was using v2 driver prior to the uninstall), still the error.
I have a PIII 800, 512 MB RAM, Win98SE, a 20 GB HD with 12 GB free, a 40 GB HD with 8Gb free, and a 80GB external USB HD with 57GB free. I have tried exporting to each of the HDs but it makes no difference. I have adjusted the MPEG2 settings on the encoder several times but no effect. My output MPEG2 file at the time of error varies between 1.5GB-1.7GB depending on my encoder settings.
I have been encoding projects with my system for about 4 months with no trouble. I have created MPEG2 files as large as 3 GB from projects over an hour long. Now for s still unknown reason, I am experiencing this error.
The first time I got the error was when I tried to do a batch export from P6 to the Ligos encoder on a couple of small projects. Ever since then, I cannot get past the 35 min. mark on my encoding.
All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Return to posts index

JoesVideo
Re: MPEG2 export halts at 35 min. mark. . . why?
on Jul 11, 2002 at 10:45:29 am

What kind of videocard do you run with? How many Meg?
Adobe loves larger VC's. 64 meg G-Force is ideal....128, even better. but based on your system discription, you have too much memory for win 98. Max should be 384. for some reason, win 98, and ME can't handle that much memory, however, if you upgraded to W2K, you can have all you want. Besides, W2K will allow you to re-format your HDD's to NTFS, giving you unlimited video capture in one pass. with 98 and me, your stuck with the Fat32 and limited to 17 or 18 min. of capture.....Brutal if your trying to load an event longer than an hour and a half!
You may want to consider getting a 1.3 on up Ghz P-4 for serious video editing. there are good deals out there with new processors about to hit the market. Whatever you do.Don't get athalons unless your strictly going to use the machine for gameimg. W2k and athalons do not mix!

Return to posts index

spmc
by
on Jul 15, 2002 at 4:36:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. I don't know what video card I am running but the machine is a couple of years old and I am thinking it is a 32 MB card.
I have been around the horn with this problem and gotten no sure fire fix. My last chat with Adobe tech support suggested that it was probably a corrupt .dll file somewhere, since all worked fine until about month ago. They recommended I reformat the hard drive and do a fresh install of everything (Windows, Adobe, Pinnacle, etc.). If I go to all that trouble I will probably upgrade my chip, RAM and anything else I can while I am at it. I am considering a reinstall with Win XP. Is WinXP good or bad with Adobe and Pinnacle? I have read both good and bad about it.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

newguy
on Jul 19, 2002 at 12:59:22 pm

Hi,
if your system is not strong enough then use w2k instead of xp

NG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]