FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD & HDV

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
digiv
HD & HDV
on Mar 18, 2005 at 12:39:04 pm

hey guys i'm new at this and i'm a little bit confused with HD and HDV are they the same format or are they different., and if they are what is different about them.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: HD & HDV
on Mar 29, 2005 at 2:43:47 pm

The big buzz at last year’s NAB was High Definition TV (HDTV), in all its glorious flavors. Many folks don’t realize that not all HD signals are created equal, and not all televisions that claim to be HD have the same quality images. There are two key variables in understanding HD image quality. The first is the lines of resolution. This is pretty straightforward; the more lines of resolution, the more detailed the image. The next variable is the type of scanning used. Interlaced scan is what we see today with a standard television display. This method of displaying video divides the image into two fields, the 1st field is composed of the odd numbered horizontal lines and drawn first, the 2nd field is composed of the even horizontal lines and is then drawn second. Your eye and brain combine these two fields into a single moving image. With progressive scan, all horizontal lines are displayed in a single pass, at rates of 24, 30 or 60 frames per second. The result is a crisper image with a more film like quality.

Here are the various television formats we saw at NAB:

* 480i = 640x480 scan lines interlaced. This is what broadcast TV is today, or as it was called around the show floor - Standard Def – Standard Definition. (Note: For digital video editing we measure DV resolution as 720 x 480 pixels) .
* 720i =1280x720 interlaced. (The lowest level of HDTV)
* 720p = 1280x720 progressive. The smaller HD scan line count with the higher resolution progressive scan. This is one of the more popular HDTV standards you see listed when shopping for an HD television. HDV supports 720p.
* 1080i = 1920x1080 interlaced. The higher level of HD line count but with the lower resolution interlaced scan. This is the other HDTV standard you see listed when shopping for an HD television. HDV supports 1080i.
* 1080p = 1920x1080 progressive. The best level of HD you can get. Maximum line count combined with progressive scan. 1080p at 24 frames is the closest HD format to film.

As you can see, it’s easy to get confused. Even more confusing is how we are going to edit these various formats, what compressions (if any) we will use, and finally, what media we will use to output our finished productions. For this there is no clear answer yet. One new format did emerge that we feel will eventually replace DV as the format of choice for prosumer videographers. That format is HDV, but it is still not “here”. (Note: What a diference a year makes. As we roll into 2005 HDV is the BUZZ in digital videography. We expect it to become bigger than DV! We expect many major announcements at NAB2005 with more HDV camcorders, DVD players that support HD and even more HDV based NLE solutions!!

What is HDV?

HDV is a new High Definition spec created by JVC and with planned support by the leading Japanese Consumer Electronic companies. JVC has been shipping their HDV camcorders since mid 2003. In September of 2004 Sony's introduced the HDR-FX1 HDV camcorder. This announcement was immediately followed by HDV announcements from Adobe, Pinnacle and Canopus. Apple and Avid - The HDV revolution had officially begun!

Just like with DV, you capture the HDV footage into your computer via FireWire. That's the easy part. In order to edit and process the HDV footage you are going to need a very powerful machine. For true real-time editing plan on a dual processor system with 2GB of RAM, a SATA RAID0 or SCSI drives for the video storage and a powerfful graphics card that supports OpenDL. You will also require special HDV capable NLE software and/or plug-ins and/or hardware to edit the footage. So far Adobe, Canopus, Ulead, Sony, Hueris, Apple and Cineform are shipping products that edit HDV. High Def video editing is in your future, and I'm hoping to see evenmore HDV camcorders announced this Spring at NAB2005.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Rhoel
Re: HD & HDV
on Aug 4, 2006 at 4:44:21 pm

If you are planningto do any broadcast work, talk to your braodcaster - many are refusing programs shot on HDV - the compression rate is bvery high and when you make multiple copies, artifacts are quick to show. The DVCproHD format seems to be widely accepted.

WHen I talked to one top stock library in the UK, they pulled a funny face at the mention of HDV - not HD was the answer. The broadcast guys are a picky bunch.

The BBC commissioning site has very good information on this subject.

Rhoel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]