FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assistance requested

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nitram
Assistance requested
on Oct 23, 2004 at 2:10:48 pm

I would like to transfer my Beta movie collection to digital video. I have about 300 titles in the collection that I want to save.

I was considering using a Plextor Convertex unit to do the capture with as I was thinking of using DiVX as the end format. However I have been warned away from that device by some people that have used the device and found it lacking for one reason or another. I was also considering the Canopus 100 or 300 units to do the job as well.

I am not interested in editing any of these videos - just want to save them in a digital format. As you can appreciate, my Beta system is getting a little long in the tooth...

Can anyone please give me suggestions on which unit to buy and which product will give me the best possible conversion, speed, fewest problems, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Nitram.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Assistance requested
by
on Oct 23, 2004 at 2:54:19 pm

It sounds like you want to put your Betamax movie collection on DVD at the highest quality possible.

I would recommend that you use a professional service for the best results.

If you want to do it yourself, you may be better off with a standalone DVD recorder. These will usually have three settings for DVDs: 1 hour at the highest quality, 90 minutes for the next decent level of quality, and 2 hours for reduced picture quality.

Should be easy to plug your beta equipment into the DVD recorder and just dub away.

If your video is 100 minutes, you will have to split it onto two DVDs if you use the highest or mid quality setting. I do not recommend using the 2-hour lower quality setting.

Are you planning to convert to PAL? NTSC? Do you want to put the video on a hard drive or DVD only?

I hope something here helps. Good Luck!

Dylan

Return to posts index

nitram
on Oct 24, 2004 at 9:22:50 pm

Thank you for your suggestion Dylan.

There is no need to convert from PAL or SECAM as I am using NTSC all the way through. I want to put the videos onto DVD only.

I did try your suggestion today and ran up against a copy protection error. It appears that on some titles, the macrovision signal is copied onto the Beta copy and the DVD recorder will not allow the movie to be copied. On the other movie I tested, everything worked fine.

It appears at this time I have to figure out a way to defeat the macrovision thing before committing to a DVD recorder.

Thanks again for you suggestion. It was one that I had overlooked at the beginning.

Nitram

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Oct 28, 2004 at 9:00:24 am

There are products that will remove the macrovision signal and allow you to create your legal backup copy. They are often titled color correction devices or some other innocuous title. Check e-bay.

Dylan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]