FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximizing quality of analog capture for DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dcarlson
Maximizing quality of analog capture for DVD
on Sep 16, 2004 at 8:53:34 pm

Hello all,

I, like many, am trying to transfer my Hi8 tapes to DVD keeping as much of the original quality as possible. I've hooked up my Hi8 camcorder to my DV camcorder (using an S-Video cable) and then on to my computer via FireWire. This approach seems to work okay, converting the analog video to DV in the digital camcorder and then to MPEG-2 via software on my PC. I used the highest quality setting on the MPEG-2 conversion.

Is this the best I can do? There are external products sold such as the Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U mentioned on this site that appear to allow one to skip the DV conversion step. Will this result in a superior image? Any other approach that would give better results?

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: Maximizing quality of analog capture for DVD
on Sep 17, 2004 at 11:12:38 am

Hey there

I run a pro-transfer service and I've been using a Sony 8mm/Hi8 VCR purchased from jandr.com. The VCR connects via iLink and does an absolutely outstanding job. I've never had any audio/video sync issues with it, and it's good for anything 8mm (Hi8 or analog). I convert everything to DV and then render to MPEG mainly because I edit out customer snow and static, and one of the things people have said time and time again is how good the quality was. The only downside is the VCR is an $800 VCR... If you have access to someone's Hi8 camcorder with iLink, that'd be my suggestion.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]