FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matrox RTX100 VS. Canopus DVSTORM 2

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pomerane
Matrox RTX100 VS. Canopus DVSTORM 2
on Mar 9, 2004 at 7:00:06 pm

Up until now I've been using Pinnacle DV500, but it's never been perfect, and always has problems, plus no longer supports the new Adobe software. For a long time I have thought about buying the Canopus DVStorm 2, because many editors I know swear by it. However, after doing some research and asking questions at expos I'm starting to lean more towards the Matrox card. Several important pros and cons:

Matrox works within Premiere Pro's interface, and all premiere's features are available. Canopus will probably get there soon, but is not there yet.

Matrox offers I believe 2 layers of video realtime, plus 4 layers of graphics depending on the hardware and the CPU, but Canopus supposedly is unlimited in that aspect depending mostly on the PC's speed. However Matrox people point out that you cannot manipulate Canopus layers as easily and gave me a nice demo of how if too many layers are applied Matrox still shows images, but will drop frames to allow previewing.

Also, I actually prefer an external break out box to the front loading breakout box Canopus offers. It's just aesthetics, and I would rather not have those cables in the way of my DVD burner.

After saying all that, I know it is important to me, as a event, corporate, and commercial videographer to have the most stable and powerfully featured capture card. While I have been leaning towards Matrox lately, I had been looking at Canopus longer, and have heard good things about it from pros. Please let me know what you think. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Matrox RTX100 VS. Canopus DVSTORM 2
on Mar 10, 2004 at 4:37:46 pm

Canopus has always been known for it's stable systems. but like you said they are still working out the kinks with premiere pro. if you want to work only in premiere pro then go with the matrox system. in the end, both systems are great.

- Jon

http://www.videoguys.com
800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

pomerane
Stability.
on Mar 10, 2004 at 5:33:59 pm

Would you say that Matrox is not as stable on a system? Also, what do you mean by "work only in premiere pro". Does Canopus work in other programs, besides Edius I mean? Is Matrox limited to Premiere Pro? I do understand that Canopus is still working out kinks with premiere pro, but I still want to be sure to get the right product for professional productions (weddings, corporate, commercial, creative, etc). I have never minded spending a little more to get the right tool, and if Canopus catches up and is therefore a better option, then I don't mind being patient either.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks

By the way, I have a P4 3.06 Gig, 1 Gig Ram, ATI Radeon 9100 system, with a 120 gig system drive, 160 and 200 gig capture drives.

Return to posts index

sbvideo
Re: Stability.
on Apr 20, 2004 at 2:35:26 am

I'm interested in the answers to these questions as well... will be watching intently.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]