FORUMS: list search recent posts

REaltime Capture from one PC to another

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iV neXus
REaltime Capture from one PC to another
on Feb 9, 2004 at 8:07:00 am

I need some advice for a newbie to this area. Here is my situation:

I have a Virtual Relity mode i have built of a freeway proposal. The file is very large, and uses almost 99% of the system resources on the PC it is running on. I want to capture a movie of the VR model. The problem is, because the file is so intense on resources, if i run a software capture on the same machine, it slows the VR to a stop (no good!). My graphics card has dual monitor output (VGA x2 out) and S-Video out as well. i tried outputting the svideo to a tv capture card on another machine, but the image was very blurry, and the frames were interlaced, which looked terrible. Im hoping there is some hardware out there which will take a VGA input signal, so i can just run dual monitor on the VR PC and send the VGA signal to a dedicated piece of hardware on another PC for capture. I have come across 2 products i think will do what i want, but i am seeking advice from people who may know whether i am on the right track. the products are:

Canopus SSC100 (http://www.canopus-aust.com/US/products/SSC100/pt_SSC100.asp)

Canopus TwinPact100 (http://www.canopus-aust.com/US/products/TwinPact100/pt_TwinPact100.asp)

the TwinPact is more expensive, but seems to offer a HEAP more options for input/output signals. It seems what i could do is output my second VGA signal to the TwinPact, and from there output a DV/IEEE signal to a Pinnacle card i have which takes IEEE signal in.

am i dreaming? or is this a real possibility. has anyone out there tried this kind of thing before?

help!

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: REaltime Capture from one PC to another
on Feb 9, 2004 at 4:01:38 pm

Yes, I've used a setup like you described to convert a powerpoint presentation to video. I played back the powerpoint on my notebook and digitized it with my Matrox RT.X100 on my video PC.

Since my goal was to insert a powerpoint presentation into a training video, the interlaced video was fine. Since it was captured in DV format, the resolution was 720x480, far lower than a computer display. That's just the limitation of standard video at this time.

Either the SSC100 or the TwinPact seem to offer the ability to capture DV from an RGB video signal, but it will still be limited to capturing a 720x480 resolution signal.

Return to posts index

iV neXus
on Feb 9, 2004 at 9:06:42 pm

john,

thanx for your response. my only question is... why do you say "...but it will still be limited to capturing a 720x480 resolution signal." ?

it seems to me this statement on the TwinPact specs page at Canopus means i can capture much higher resolutions...

####
Supported RGB Resolutions
> Max: 1600 x 1200
> H Freq: 24kHz – 100kHz
> V Freq: 50Hz – 130Hz
####

... doesnt this mean i can set my VR PC to have a screen res of say 1280x1024 and the TwinPact will recieve this no problems? or is it that the output via IEEE from TwinPact is only available at 720x576 max? ecuse my naivety, i am very new to this area of technolgy.

neX:)

help!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 10, 2004 at 1:34:23 am

Both devices capture PC video and convert it to DV, which is 720x480 NTSC (US video) or 720x576 PAL (European video). Whatever resolution you capture, you'll end up with the reduced DV resolution.

Return to posts index

iV neXus
on Feb 10, 2004 at 4:39:32 am

john,

ok so what you are saying is that the capture will ONLY happen at 720x576 (PAL Australia)? but will this have interlacing? even if it is coming from a VGA source? if so thats problematic, as i want to capture frames and render off an avi file in After Effects, but whenever ive tried to do this with interlaced frames (ie from my TV capture card), it looks so disgusting i give up LOL. Im searching for a solution which will give me frames similar to those produced when i render an animation in Maya (ie BMP files with no interlace)

neX:)

help!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 11, 2004 at 2:08:53 am

The capture device may have a setting to capture video with no fields, creating deinterlaced video, or convert the captured interlaced video to progressive scan. You'd have to check with Canopus.

My Matrox RT.X100 has that ability.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]