FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videoguys' Premiere Pro minimum system specs

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
Videoguys' Premiere Pro minimum system specs
on Sep 12, 2003 at 4:34:05 am

Here's a post I made in the DV.com forums. It was in response to some frustrated Premiere Pro users trying to run it in a lowly P3 machine.

Guys, it's obvious that Adobe and other vendors list minimum system specs that while the program may run, you will not be satisfied with the results. I can't stand this practice, but it seems it will not go away. So here for the record is our minimum recommended system for running Premiere Pro and liking what you get:

- 2+ Ghz P4 processor or Athlon Eqiv.
- 512+ Megs of RAM
- A dedicated 7200 RPM drive for video (can be EIDE, FireWire, SCSI or Serial ATA)
- A decent 3D graphics card with 64+ Megs of RAM. (I recommend a dual head card - once you go dual you'll never go back)

You will find that the more CPU speed you give Premiere Pro, the better it runs. Not just real-time stuff, but overall responsiveness. So get the fastest CPU you can afford. This will also speed up your encoding to DVD.

And users will still see some pretty significant benfits from 3rd party hardware accelerators like the RTX100 or Storm. Matrox just sent us over some very good info on what benefits the RTX100 w/ Premiere Pro will bring you. Here is my boiled down version:

1) Analog & DV I/O a good DV/AV converter like the ADVC100 will cost you around $300 bucks

2) Real-time analog, DV & MPEG2 output. For many of us the real-time MPEG2 output is now just as or more important then real-time output to tape. Final outputs with premiere pro must be rendered.

3) Real-time color correction with TV output. Color correction needs a video monitor to get the best results. The Matrox color correction tool is not as slick as the new Premiere pro, but it's pretty easy to use. The auto white balance is a great time saver.

4) Matrox real-time 3D FX and filters. These are very high quslity with superb keyframing tools. you can preview the FX while you are working with them on your external video monitor.

5) The RTX100 single pass scan and capture tool is fantastic. It goes beyond batch capturing. On the fly your video is broken down into clips. unwanted clips can be deleted to free up disk space.

6) For AE users the WYSIWYG video output is a very nice tool.

If you order the RTX100 w/ Prtemiere 6.5 today, you get a FREE upgrade to Premeire Pro, Encore DVD & Audition!! That's an incredible deal for $999.95!!! http://videoguys.com/matrox.htm

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]