FORUMS: list search recent posts

RTX10 hard drive configuration

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Webb
RTX10 hard drive configuration
on Jul 8, 2003 at 5:44:53 am

I just started working with the RTX10 Xtra card and received a dropped frames error message after capturing some digital video and trying to play it back on the timeline. The problem seems to be an inadequate transfer rate or DMA bus-mastering not enabled. The hard drives are ATA 133, 7200 rpm, 8 mb cache, Maxtors. Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz w/ 1 GB PC 2700 ram. The hard drives were configured per the RTX10 card instructions - system drive controller 1, Master and the A/V drive controller 2, master. The tech person with Videoguys said the transfer rate was slow because the CD-rom drives set up as slaves were slowing down the master hard drives. He suggested that the A/V drive be re-configured as a slave to the system drive. What concerns me about this is that this configuration directly contradicts the manufacturer's recommendations. It would seem that the manufacturer should know best how to configure the hardware for their card. I am not sure how to proceed. Can anyone help me out?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: RTX10 hard drive configuration
on Jul 8, 2003 at 5:27:08 pm

We are trying to troubleshoot here. the current config is not working right. we need to try some stuff to get it going correct. Jon's suggestion is an excellent first shot. you also should try our WinXP or Win2K tweaks.

Gary

The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 9, 2003 at 4:23:46 am

What's your motherboard? Have you followed Matrox's recommendations for the rest of the configuration?

Is the chipset compatible with the X10? (VIA chipsets and nVidia chipsets don't seem to work.)

Have you applied the latest drivers for your video, audio, chipset, IDE, and AGP?

Return to posts index

Thomas Webb
on Jul 9, 2003 at 7:49:48 pm

My motherboard is a MSI 865PE Neo 2 with 800 Mhz FSB. We have followed the Matrox recommendations exactly per their user manual. The full system was just purchased new less than two weeks ago so all of the most current drivers were installed by the company that built the computer for us. Although I have no real way to verify it, they specifically stated that they download current drivers when they build a new system. I also have no reason to believe that they would not do this.

I do appreciate you helping me out.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jul 10, 2003 at 3:11:08 am

The one driver I understand that you should not install with an X10 is the Intel Application Accelerator. If it's installed, uninstall it and see what happens.

I didn't find this motherboard (or chipset) as tested and approved on Matrox's website. I haven't searched the Matrox forums to see if anyone else has figured out how to make this work.

I have an Asus A7M266-D, which includes onboard C-media audio, which I could not use, as its performance was erratic with my X100. I had to disable the onboard audio and use an Audigy. My motherboard also had a bios setting for normal/turbo, which would interfere with the X100, if it was in turbo mode. You might try turning HyperThreading off in the bios.

Not many people have had luck using onboard or PCI RAID controllers, as they compete with the X10 for bus bandwidth, although it does sound like your hard drives are configured correctly using the IDE ports. Make sure they're not hooked up to the Promise controller ports, as this interfaces through the PCI bus and interferes with the X10.

The only one on the Matrox forums with a similar motherboard got his to work by flashing the bios. He couldn't get DMA mode until he did so.

Return to posts index

Thomas Webb
on Jul 10, 2003 at 2:37:15 pm

I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions. However your words sound much like a foreign language to me. I have never heard of the "Intel Application Accelerator" and would have no idea how to go about uninstalling it. The on board audio should be disabled since we have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card installed. I do not know what PCI RAID controllers are but I guess it is not important since I am using IDE controllers. I do not know what "Promise controller ports" are nor how to tell if the hard drives are hooked up to them. What does "flashiing the bios" mean and how would you get the bios to flash? How come the Matrox manual did not mention any of this. We followed the installation instructions carefully. If I had known that this piece of hardware was so quirky and difficult to get correctly configured to work properly I would not have purchased it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]