FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which 4K camera if you had to buy today?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Jacobs
Which 4K camera if you had to buy today?
on Jun 7, 2018 at 2:51:41 am

In the market for a 4K camera with SDI out. I have a Canon 5D mk4 but I want a replacement camera for my Sony NX5U. I can spend about $3,000. Which one would you buy? I'm looking at the JVC GY-HM250 but I feel like I might want a camera that does 4K at 60p. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Which 4K camera if you had to buy today?
on Jun 7, 2018 at 4:36:16 pm

Hi Steve,

I tried a JVC HM-250 demo unit a couple years ago, not impressed. Very lightweight, plasticky-feeling body, and the image gets darker and darker the more you zoom, to the point where even outdoors in daylight it gets several stops darker at full zoom. Indoors? forget it, image gets completely nasty in anything less than very good light (and without zooming of course). Like the body itself, the recorded image can also look plastic - people look like Barbie dolls, skin all one solid shade, you get the idea, no vibrance or detail. Camera was on sale for under $1500 at the time, and was not worth it to me, disappointed. Was not going to work for weddings and stage events indoors with uncontrolled lighting.

I've been using a Sony X70 that belongs to a buddy last 2 years, amazing little camera! Very solid body, feels professional. Doesn't have a ton of manual controls, but several of the buttons on the body can be user-configured to do most anything available in the menu, so I was able to set it up in a manner that suits my shooting style. Current model is the Z90 now, under $3k but neither offers 60p in 4K mode.

The Panasonic DVX-200 will get you 4K 60p, but price is a little north of $4000 then. Substantially larger camera than the Sony models.

I don't know what Canon offers in 4K these days.

Big fan of Sony X70/Z90 models if 30p works for your 4K needs.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Digital Vision

Return to posts index

Steve Jacobs
Re: Which 4K camera if you had to buy today?
on Jun 8, 2018 at 2:28:14 am

Thank you Jeff. I appreciate your insight. I've never been a Panasonic guy... always a Sony, but I feel like to future proof my business, I'm looking for 4K at 60p. Maybe I'll just rent a camera for my freelance business and buy when Sony gets a model out there that does this.

Would appreciate any other thoughts here on Creative Cow.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]