FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap Sony used in "always-on" situation. Issues?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hickler
Cheap Sony used in "always-on" situation. Issues?
on Oct 24, 2017 at 8:05:53 pm

My company just purchased a Sony HDR-CX405 (specs) , an inexpensive video camera for use in a situation where it will be always on, sending a live signal over HDMI to another system. It will not be recording. It will be locked down in one static position, lens cap open, plugged in, turned on, sending video over HDMI, 24x7 for the foreseeable future.

Does anyone see any issues with doing this, considering that this camera is not designed as a surveillance camera? Overheating? Image sensor burn-in? Significantly reduced life span?

Also, according to the manual, even when the camera is plugged in and powered with the power cord, it requires a battery, and in that scenario, the battery "may be consumed" (whatever that means). So I also wonder if leaving it on will eventually kill the battery.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Cheap Sony used in "always-on" situation. Issues?
on Nov 29, 2017 at 5:20:53 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 29, 2017 at 5:21:27 pm

I think your skepticism is warranted. I'd also suggest the purpose-built camera instead of "stepping over dollars, to pick up dimes".

I find these debates on the management side usually come down to money, and what looks "affordable" up front. Your job in the debate would be to show that using the "cheap" camera actually costs more in the long run, if it fails at a critical time, or requires repair/replacement that wipes out the initial "savings".

Sony, Panasonic and Canon both make great PTZ remote cam options for these kinds of applications. And they are not that expensive. You can compare them on the B&H web site

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]