FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop to choose from

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugue Loiselle
Laptop to choose from
on Apr 27, 2017 at 4:24:39 pm

Hi everyone

I need some advice concerning to PC machines that I have to chosse from.
Yes i've decided to move PC for Adobe CC

1st: Dell XPS 15

- 16GB 2400MHz, DDR4 ; up to 32GB
- 512GB PCIe Solid State Drive 490-BDMW
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 1050 avec 4Go GDDR5
- 7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
- Intel (R)CPU label for Core(TM) i7 KBL
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge, Silver

2nd: Alienware 13'' (a little more expensive)

- Alienware 13 R3
- 32GB DDR4 - 2400MHz
- NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
- Intel (R)CPU label for Core(TM) i7 KBL
- 13.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display with Alienware Head-KBL

My question is: Does Adobe premiere and After effect will take advantage of the 6GB dedicated of the Nvidia 1060 graphic card?

Is Alienware brands 'FIT' for video \ photo editing and motion graphics?
Knowing that they are mostly Gaming machines.
Will be working : Photoshop, Premiere and After effect.

Wich Machine would you choose to Work mostly HD and a little 4K for video?

Thank You for your time and advice

P.S. I've considered RazorBlade products but the budget says no. lol

Hugue Loiselle

Hugue

Return to posts index

Daniel Mangoianu
Re: Laptop to choose from
on Jul 4, 2017 at 12:10:32 am

Unless you like to game and edit on the same system, you really don't need the Razer or Alienware. Most editing (from my experience) originates from CPU power, usually when it comes to video editing, etc. While video editing can also use GPU power, like I said before, the 1050 and 1060 are not that far apart in terms of performance. i7's are all you need for 4k video editing, even the 6th gen ones like I have myself.

You also mentioned motion graphics, which may require a more powerful GPU as well. That would generally be where the desktop NVidia Quadro's come in, but since you are sticking to laptops, a GTX 1050 would be fine for 4k editing. I would recommend a GTX 1070, which is significantly more powerful (1050 is actually in the 950-960ish range) so unless you aren't working on commercial-size projects that would otherwise need a powerful desktop, you should be fine.

As a plus, 1050 and the 7700HQ (which is the 7700's mobile CPU) are "good" for gaming as well, but lower in performance than the 1060. Anything in the 7700 series will generally get the job done.

If you want a clearer view on the GPU hierarchy, a lineup of all GPU's from most to least powerful, you can check out this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]