FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt3 on Z820?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Summers
Thunderbolt3 on Z820?
on Jan 7, 2017 at 7:23:42 am

Hi
Does anyone know if it is/will be possible to get TB3 on a Z820?
I have the Thunderbolt2 card, but considering future upgrades.
There just aren't enough PCIe slots in here and it could be good to be able to switch use of cards between laptop and desktop... I was thinking the HP 4 slot M2 card loaded with Samsung 960s could be a pretty nifty external drive...

Also is there a simple chart anywhere explaining processor upgrade options.
I am about to try to switch dual E5-2643 for dual E5-2667 as I figured they were as fast as I could go without needing water cooling, but now thinking there may be batter v2 options if my motherboard supports
Tris

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Thunderbolt3 on Z820?
on Jan 9, 2017 at 3:13:49 pm

HP only offers a Thunderbolt 2 card for their workstations. When a Thundrbolt 3 card comes out I am pretty confident it will work in your z820. BUT - and it's a big BUT - it may require the same slot the current tbolt2 card goes into.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
Re: Thunderbolt3 on Z820?
on Jan 9, 2017 at 4:37:26 pm

Makes sense that they had to do a temperamental workaround going via the Intel controller and the slower PCIe2 slot for TB2 before, so the same would apply for TB3.

More than one port would be good this time, though I suspect it is already lane limited.

We all know what HP offers/supports is a LOT less than what can actually be done, so I guess I was looking to see if third party / none over-priced options were available! Guess testing TB3 to 2 adaptors is all I can do for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]