FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange feedback after MKV to MP4 conversion

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Abernathy
Strange feedback after MKV to MP4 conversion
on Sep 5, 2016 at 10:13:23 am

I rip all my DVDs to mp4 to maintain on a hard drive that is connected to a media player. My husband likes to try whatever new thing comes along, so he started ripping them to mkv, which was fine enough until the media player decided it didn't like mkv. First, it started playing the videos at high speed, and I would press pause then play multiple times to make it stop that. Now the audio will still play, but it shows "No video found" on the screen. Most of the original DVDs have gone to the in-laws, so I'd started converting the mkv to mp4, which is a format the media player still likes. When these converted videos are played, I get weird chirping noises randomly throughout the video, kind of like the noise a CD makes when it skips.

The media player is about 4 years old, a Micca, with a RAID connected via LAN. The videos do not chirp like that on the computer, where they are just playing in Windows Media Player. None of the videos that were originally ripped to mp4 have this problem. I took a few of them and detached the audio so I could look at them in the audio editor. There are no large peaks visible in the waveforms, and I can't hear the chirping when I play the sound files.

I have since switched from VLC to XMedia Recode, copying them to mp4 instead of converting. That seems to work well. Is this a problem with media player codecs? Is my media player giving up the ghost? This was an inexpensive player at the time, and I didn't expect it to last as long as it has - I never watch regular TV and pretty much keep the media player going whenever I'm home. Or is there something in the converted files that I'm not hearing on the computer because maybe I don't have it turned up loud enough to hear? I'm perplexed - I tried to keep the conversion settings as close to the original files as possible to avoid any loss of quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]