FORUMS: list search recent posts

System problem? Found a glitch that reproduces itself across different editing softwares

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Keys
System problem? Found a glitch that reproduces itself across different editing softwares
on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:40:07 am

Hopefully this is in the right forum category.

I've been struggling to get to the bottom of a problem I'm having with choppy transitions/dissolves while editing video. I use Vegas Pro 13 for all my video editing projects.

Here is my problem:

When I cut smaller pieces of a long video file and try to overlap these clips, standard dissolves and any other transition effects are choppy, jumpy, not smooth etc. This only happens when it's two pieces of one file. When I overlap two separate video files, the transitions are smooth.

I tested this on a trial version of Premiere Pro CC 2014 and got the same result so it's nothing to do with Vegas Pro.

I also tested this with my media on my system drive, and also with the media on 3 different external USB 3.0 hard drives, so it's not a specific drive problem.

I can't for the life of me figure this out.

System specs:

*Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
*Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz
*Intel DH67CL motherboard (yes I realize it's a poor choice of a mobo with an unlocked CPU...will eventually be upgrading so that I can overclock and squeeze some more performance out of the i5 2500k)
*4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CL9
*NVidia GT 630 2GB video card

Media I am editing:

Video: 1920x1080x24, 30.000 fps, Alpha = None, Field Order = None (progressive scan), x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Codec

Audio: 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono, Uncompressed

If I am missing any other pertinent information, just let me know and I will provide it asap. I appreciate any insight into solving this problem. Thanks.

-Victor

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: System problem? Found a glitch that reproduces itself across different editing softwares
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:44:51 pm

The GT 630 is a very low end graphics card with only 96 CUDA cores. We recommend getting 768 CUDA cores or more to edit H.264 or AVCHD files.

Bottom line is that your machine isn't going to handle the compression with effects. It's just not powerful enough. You can scale down your preview resolution to 1/2 which should help smooth your editing. Your final rendered video will be at full resolution and look great.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Victor Keys
Re: System problem? Found a glitch that reproduces itself across different editing softwares
on Feb 12, 2015 at 12:09:54 am

[Gary Bettan] "The GT 630 is a very low end graphics card with only 96 CUDA cores. We recommend getting 768 CUDA cores or more to edit H.264 or AVCHD files.

Bottom line is that your machine isn't going to handle the compression with effects. It's just not powerful enough. You can scale down your preview resolution to 1/2 which should help smooth your editing. Your final rendered video will be at full resolution and look great.

Gary"

Gary,

Thanks for the reply! I was super tired when I posted this. I had a feeling I was missing vital information. This actually happens in my rendered out files (and also when I RAM preview). So it's not the video card either. But I did just pick up my ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 video card on my doorstep minutes ago. Snagged it on EBAY last week. This should definitely help my previewing dramatically as I was doing all my editing in DRAFT mode. But I will install the card and see if for some reason it does change anything with this issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]