FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is SDI SDI no matter the source?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Normington
Is SDI SDI no matter the source?
on Dec 8, 2014 at 7:50:30 pm

I work for a non profit public affairs organization. We currently shoot HDV and feed the edit system from a HDV deck from the SDI output. This system then routes the SDI to a switcher and the SDI output of the switcher runs to an encoder where the video is encoded for the website where all of the content lives for public viewing.

We are finally going to update our gear. We are looking at the SONY PXW-X180 MPEG HD422 50 MBPS CAMERA. This camera would record to the sxs card and then play SDI into our system via the SDI output of a SONY PMW-RX50 SXS CARD RECORDER/PLAYER/REG .

QUESTION = Is HD SDI HDSDI? Will the DSI signal be any different than the HDSDI signal coming out of the HDV decks we have now? Does SDI pass along the codec of the source video?

This is a concern as we have this touchy encoding scenario. It works with what we are feeding it now, we don't want to change the whole system.

Doug Normington
NORMCO Multi-Media, Inc.
(608) 824-0999 Office
(608) 345-7579 Cel

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Is SDI SDI no matter the source?
on Jan 5, 2015 at 4:57:30 pm

Hi Doug,

The HD-SDI signal coming out of a camera/deck is "uncompressed". Regardless of what compression format was used in the camera/deck, such as HDV, XDCAM, AVCHD, that format is uncompressed during playback for transmission over HD-SDI output and is then a "standard" HD video signal.

So, if your workflow was using 1080i60 video before, and the new camera/deck is also outputting 1080i60, then there should be no issue - the encoder will not know the difference. It doesn't know what compression was previously used for the source recording of the HD-SDI signal it is receiving.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]