FORUMS: list search recent posts

has anyone actually used thunderbolt within windows?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Brown
has anyone actually used thunderbolt within windows?
on May 23, 2014 at 1:46:32 am

I am planning my next build. Will possibly be based around the Haswell refresh w/Z97 chipset, or if I am feeling freaking crazy, the Haswell Extreme edition, rumored to be an 8-core monster, with the X99 chipset (and as of now unreleased DDR4 RAM)

I am also redoing my storage. I currently have 2 of the CineRAID 4 bay "home" series in RAID5 which I connect via eSATA, and they work well for me. Most of what I do is big 8 - 10 - sometimes even 12 and beyond multicam edits of live concert performances.

I am a home builder, and the motherboard I choose will almost surely come with thunderbolt on board.

Thunderbolt on the PC still seems like the wild west, a little. Would it be wise to base my fast redundant storage needs on, for example, the 8 bay Pegasus t-bolt 2 model? Since I am currently able to edit 12 streams of 1080p by putting the footage across 2 of the cineRAID units connected via eSATA, surely a couple thunderbolt 2 models would far exceed what I currently have, correct?

and yet, it seems very few people are actually doing this.

Return to posts index

Eric Brown
Re: has anyone actually used thunderbolt within windows?
on May 23, 2014 at 3:41:44 am

drifting my own thread. doing quite a bit of reading.

say I went with the ever-popular Atto R680 + STARDOM SOHOTANK combo. would I see any difference in read performance vs. the Areca / Pegasus thunderbolt2 8 bay offerings, assuming all other things (drives) are equal? as far as I can tell, the Atto is a PCI 8x device, while thunderbolt 2 is equivalent to PCI 4x. advantage atto, obviously, but would that translate into any real world gains?

How many 8 bay Sohotanks can I connect to one R680? this would be a pretty big advantage if its more than one, which I am assuming it is...at which point I assume the 4x vs 8x would really start to matter..

when daisy chaining thunderbolt devices, is there a performance hit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]