FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL or NTSC

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ezra Richards
PAL or NTSC
on Dec 24, 2013 at 10:28:34 am

What do I do in this instance:
I'm working with a DVD (I've ripped a DVD and am working with the ripped mpg file in Vegas). According to the box the DVD's format is NTSC. When I render in Sony Vegas do I render in NTSC or PAL? I think it should be PAL as I'm in Thailand. I'm a bit confused.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: PAL or NTSC
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:11:08 pm

You are correct, Ezra. The television standard for Thailand is PAL B/M (which I think means either B or M are acceptable):

http://countrycode.org/tv-standards

You may want to double-check your ripped file format to see whether it's interlaced or not. If it is, you can most likely de-interlace it in Vegas (I don't use Vegas, so I have no idea), then render the file to whatever your playback requirements are.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Ezra Richards
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:23:49 am

Thanks for your help and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
De-interlaced is preferred I take it - from what you've written.

Wikipedia entry 'interlacing'
'Interlaced video is a technique of doubling the perceived frame rate introduced with the signal without consuming extra bandwidth.'

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:08:50 pm

Hi Ezra,

What do you want to do with the finished video? NTSC DVDs are 720x480 at 29.97 fps, while PAL Uses 720x576 at 25fps. If making a new DVD, you could convert to PAL, but you'll be converting both increasing frame size and lowering frame rate, which will diminish the final quality.

My understanding is that PAL DVD players will play NTSC DVDs, having built-in conversion circuitry. You can easily verify this on your end - does the NTSC DVD play in your DVD player? If the answer is yes, then perhaps keep the workflow NTSC for best results. If creating a clip for the web, then NTSC/PAL doesn't matter, computers can play anything, but again avoid unnecessary conversions.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ezra Richards
on Jan 21, 2014 at 4:17:59 am

I'm going to be putting it up on the web. Thanks for your help and apologies for not getting back to you sooner, it's difficult to get online at the moment.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 21, 2014 at 2:37:53 pm

Hi Ezra,

For the web, NTSC or PAL doesn't matter, computers play anything. Edit NTSC as NTSC so that you're not converting frame size or frame rate, then export to a web format keeping the same frame rate of 29.97 for delivery.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ezra Richards
on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:04:58 pm

Definitely simplifies things - thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]