FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any suggestions? Sony HVR-Z5U or Panasonic AG-AC160? Plus question on 1080/24p?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fragola
Any suggestions? Sony HVR-Z5U or Panasonic AG-AC160? Plus question on 1080/24p?
on Nov 29, 2013 at 3:58:09 am

Hi,

I hope there is somebody out there who has the gift of patience and can help me with what is probably common sense knowledge and awareness to people in the video community (and I apologize for being so new & uneducated about all this) ...

But in short, I'm much more of a writer than a videographer ... but I do want to shoot some shorts (and then maybe an indie feature) ...

And I don't know where to begin as far as buying a pro-level consumer camera ... as all I know is that I am looking for a true full 1080p (not interlace) camera that shoots at 24fps (for a film look) ... and I need a camera that has rings for focus, zoom and iris ...

But it's just some confusing as so many of these cameras out there (as I do my research) all seem to have like 40 different "shooting modes" ... so I'm not sure what is a selling gimmick in the product description -- vs -- what is legitimate jargon that I need to understand.

Does 1080/24p mean 1080 progressive (resolution) at 24 progressive frames (rate)? ... or does it mean the resolution may be 1080i even though it shoots at 24 fps?

Is there a difference between 24p ... and 24p (native)? What about 1080p? ... and 1080p (native)?

And what's the reason for all the various Mbs rates? ... as, in other words, even if it's true full HD at 24p, if it's at a low bit rate, it's not going to look all that great?

And how about relatively older cameras (like 4 years old) that shoot 1080 HD but to a mini dv tape? ... as those are very inexpensive now ... are they still decent cameras (it's just most people like the convenience of memory cards instead of DV tapes? ... or are mini dv cameras basically just crap compared to the newer cameras?)

For example ...

How about these three cameras? ... what would you suggest? The Sony HVR-Z5U ... or Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM ... or the Panasonic AG-AV160?

Thanks so much for any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]