FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro upgrade advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim brodie
Mac Pro upgrade advice
on Oct 4, 2013 at 8:47:24 am

Hi folks,

I'm about to upgrade my five year old Mac Pro Quad core 3.0 that I use for video production editing. Its been a solid machine but I'm finding I'm getting bogged down in rendering graphics and compressing Mpeg 4s. Currently I've got two options, a 2.4 12 core (August 2012) or a 2.93 8 core (2009 vintage). The price difference is about $500. Do you think the newer 12 core is the better choice? I'm assuming I'll also get all the needed RAM and a new Samsung SSD 840 pro to jolt my productivity.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.

All the Best,

Jim

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Mac Pro upgrade advice
on Oct 7, 2013 at 2:05:23 pm

When comparing versions of workstations, cores are more important then clock speeds. So a 12 core is going to be much faster then an 8 core, even if the 8 core has higher clock speeds.

DO NOT waste your money on a "Vintage" 2009 Mac Pro. Lets face it, even the 2012 isn't even close to cutting edge technology.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

jim brodie
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:15:29 pm

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your response.

What if you were getting a new processor, 24 gigs of RAM and an 480 SSD
drive and a new video card.

Do you still think I'm taking a risk with the older model?

All the Best,

Jim

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Oct 7, 2013 at 4:33:36 pm

I don't think it is a risk, I think it is a poor investment. Spend the extra $500 and get the much newer and more powerful machine.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]