FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have tried the XH-A1 component to capture uncompressed 10 bit.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael D. Scherer
I have tried the XH-A1 component to capture uncompressed 10 bit.
on Aug 1, 2013 at 5:54:39 pm

I must say, unless I am doing something majorly wrong, after all I spent to get the XH-A1 component to SDI to Shuttledeck to MAC to FCP, I notice NO difference in image quality at all compared to capture from the simultaneous HDV tape, in fact there is very slight but acceptable noise in the 10 bit. Anyone else try this? Either the XH-A1 component is NOT uncompressed, or the HDV off tape is as good a quality as uncompressed, which means none of this gear was necessary in the first place. Looking at the frames of both at 200% and 400%, there is nothing perceptible that would indicate a better key being pulled from the uncompressed. I tried all capture codecs on the Hyperdeck Shuttle, and no difference.

XH-A1, clip shot in 60i
Component out to Blackmagic mini converter (analog to SDI) by using
Laird Red One Camera 3G SDI DIN 1.0/2.3 to BNC cable to
Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 onto
Sandisk Extreme SSD 480G into
FCP

Sequence in FCP using uncompressed 10 bit
Then I capture same clip from XH-A1 tape, sequence = HDV1080i

I did make sure the 10 bit sequence is set to render 10 bit material in high precision.

Any ideas? THANKS!
Michael

Return to posts index

Mihael Tominšek
Re: I have tried the XH-A1 component to capture uncompressed 10 bit.
on Sep 22, 2013 at 8:07:09 am

Dear Michael (my name is Mihael too).

I have XHA1 and XHA1s and I was wondering very often, how it would be to grab component out. You said it's no difference. I didn't expected it would be in sharpness or detail in normal good light sitiation (it's 1,67 MPx sensor not ful HD). But I hoped it would be better in color latitude, less compression artefacts, less banding, more natural noise grain, and most important less blockiness while moving camera.

Please try to record in low lighting situation and move camera. I wonder if color in low light situation is better, with less compression problems and less blockiness on moving shots, especially on some detailed image like grass, trees, sand...

If picture on component output have same ugly blockiness and wrong color sampling as HDV, than component out is endeed taken from output of compressor, and not directly from Digic image processor. Which is shame to advertise as uncompressed analog output.

Yes camera is rather old, but still kickin. I reckon that SDI output on XHG1 is "compressed" as well and I'm glad I rather bought two XHA1 cameras instead of one G1.

Thanks for information.

MIHAEL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]