FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Capture Software that can record-pause-record with same file?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graesen Arnoff
Video Capture Software that can record-pause-record with same file?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 4:41:42 pm

I am looking for a software that will allow me to record from a video capture device, pause the recording, then resume recording without creating separate video files. Free or paid is fine, as long as there is a demo to test it with first.

This is for an instructor teaching in-person classes with a camcorder, but he wants to pause during quizzes and such. I am looking for it to create only 1 file during recording because I am trying to eliminate the editing process prior to uploading to an internal video streaming repository.

Any suggestions that might be easy to use?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Video Capture Software that can record-pause-record with same file?
on Jul 23, 2013 at 6:54:56 pm

A relatively short process of stitching multiple files into one after the fact - won't work? Just wondering.

I can't think of software that can pause recording. Only start-stop - which breaks the file.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Graesen Arnoff
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:34:31 pm

We currently stitch multiple files together and the processing required is too time consuming. I've come up short on finding anything too, figured last resort- ask.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:53:34 pm

Got it. What software do you use for stitching and how long does it take (per hour of source files)? What's an acceptable time / speed that would work? Perhaps using different software for stitching and addressing possible system bottlenecks (storage, CPU, GPU) would tame the problem?

Recording onto an HDV camera (possibly using a remote to pause and start it) and then ingesting the whole file - how does that sound as a workaround?

Return to posts index

Graesen Arnoff
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:20:43 pm

Current setup/process:

Instructor at university records on an HD camcorder in AVCHD. As the instructor isn't very technical, I receive the footage via shared folder on local network, copy it to local folder on current PC, and use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 to edit/stitch the recorded files together. This takes about 2 hours for a 1-hour lecture. The instructor gives me 2 lectures to do this to and it's usually half-way through the day when I get these lectures.

I begin stitching these clips to create 1 complete lecture immediately (he stops recording during quizzes and related activities), but I am not always available to do this. Because of the length of time required in this whole process, any delay or my absence means one or both of these lectures doesn't get uploaded for the students to review until the next day or I stay after hours.

I am being pushed to make the process more streamlined without a budget. Lecture capture isn't in our budget nor a current campus interest, but one instructor wishes to do this on his own. He would like to see the lectures be made available shortly after class to give students an advantage to review for tests and quizzes sooner. Sometimes being a day late means students don't have time to review.

I am currently on an iMac that is severely under powered for the duties required and unapproved for a better computer - have to make due with what I have. I usually run it in Windows 7, however, because most of my duties use Windows software. It's a Core Duo CPU and 2GB of RAM.

The instructor has an even weaker computer, but wishes to use his brand new MS Surface Pro if possible to record to if we use a software for recording. I am envisioning being able to upload directly after recording - our streaming system is easy enough for him to do on his own so a setup like this would be the fastest and possibly the most efficient method to achieve what this instructor is trying to do.

Return to posts index

Carol Love
on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:25:56 am

Absolutely Im trying to figured out this too, that would be a great help for capturing videos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]