FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interlace motion blur issue raises its ugly head again !

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rupert Barnes
Interlace motion blur issue raises its ugly head again !
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:07:09 pm

I have been given some quicktime files to play for a client. The content includes images of buildings, which scan at angles across the video in a kind of Ken burns effect. Its not actually Ken Burns but you get what I mean. This is mixed up with other specially shot interviews of the architecs etc. The problem I have is that when the images, which some are of buildings, move either up, down or diagonally across the screen there is a great deal of both horizontal and vertical judder and flicker. This does not happen with any movement within the specially shot interviews.

I think the footage created of the images has been created in a different way to the interviews. To play them back will be at 1920x1080 50hz.

What I need your help is for you to try and guess why this is happening ? They have been exported at 25fps H.264 progressive and the problems can be seen on any display device, from computer monitor to external plasma, using quicktime, running at 50P hz. I have no access to the editor, so all correspondence is through my clients client, what feedback can I give ?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Interlace motion blur issue raises its ugly head again !
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:08:24 pm

My guess would be that it's a combination of the frame rate and the detail in the architectural shots. It would help to know what this was shot with, but my guess would be a DSLR.

The slower the frame rate, the more your image is subject to stutter; the faster frame rates (30fps and higher) will give you less of the judder/stutter. They've also been provided to you in a highly compressed format.

I hope your client is realistic in your telling him/her that it's the fault of the videographer, one, for shooting at a slow frame rate, and two, for providing the master footage in a highly compressed format. If you could contact the shooter, you might get a chance to have better source material, in terms of frame rate and compression.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:12:25 pm

My guess would be that it's a combination of the frame rate and the detail in the architectural shots. It would help to know what this was shot with, but my guess would be a DSLR.

The slower the frame rate, the more your image is subject to stutter; the faster frame rates (30fps and higher) will give you less of the judder/stutter. They've also been provided to you in a highly compressed format.

I hope your client is realistic in your telling him/her that it's the fault of the videographer, one, for shooting at a slow frame rate, and two, for providing the master footage in a highly compressed format. One thing you could try is Motion Blur, or add just a very slight bit of Gaussian Blur to your clips. The client might not like it - I'm sure architects want to see the sharpest possible portrayal of their work, but this is video; it's not shot on an 8 x 10 camera with tilt shift capabilities. Apologies for the double post...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Rupert Barnes
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:23:02 am

Interesting points,

The footage of the buildings is taken from photographs, not from the actual buildings, so I expect some kind of modern rostrum kind of set up.

Would this make much of a difference ?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]