FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sure would appreciate some advice on replacing or keeping my VX-2100

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Kimball
Sure would appreciate some advice on replacing or keeping my VX-2100
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:24:17 am

First off I so appreciate the creative cow forum. I have learned so much from this site! Okay here we go.

I purchased my Sony VX-2100 in 2005 and cut my teeth on filming Mountain Gorillas in the Congo. Great adventure for sure. Fast forward to 2008/2009 and I filmed a 4 part documentary on Australian Parrots. Here is a sample by the way... Youtube but hopefully one can get the idea

I have used the cam for many many filming hours since 2005. It now needs to be serviced mainly because of an unfortunate a drop in Tasmania. This caused a major part to become affected internally and it affects how the cam performs. Basically the cam now leaves a blue shadow around white objects like white birds etc.

To have the cam serviced I have been quoted up to $1000.00. Pretty expensive for sure.

Here are my choices.
Spend a grand on my faithful VX-2100 and continue shooting mini DV format for the future. I will continue to get the benefits of mini dv tape storage and the great low-light capabilities with the VX.

or

Invest in a new perhaps smaller and equally light sensitive cam and perhaps even go HD? I have no idea what cameras are out there in the VX-2100 price range and that can go toe to toe with the VX?

Any contenders for my VX-2100 or advice for me here? Also considering my scenario what would others do if in my shoes?

Many Thanks

Don Kimball
Polytelis Media

http://www.polytelismedia.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]