FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is a CPU with hyperthreading necessary for video editing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Forth
Is a CPU with hyperthreading necessary for video editing?
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:44:55 pm

I guess the subject says it all , is a CPU like the Intel i7 3770K with hyperthreading necessary for video editing HD 1080p video? Or will a CPU without hyperthreading work just as well , like the Intel i5 3570 K.

I've looked at the benchmarks for these 2 CPU's, and there isn't a big difference in performance between the 2. This is with the hyperthreading turned off on the i7 of course. I'm building a new computer and I'm on a budget. The i5 is $100 less than the i7. I'll spend the money on the i7 if I need to , and perhaps get a little less expensive motherboard. I was looking to get the Asus p8z77 V-Deluxe MOBO for $279.

I'm going to be using a GTX 660 2GB video card if that matters? Thanks

Bryan

Return to posts index

Alex Murphy
Re: Is a CPU with hyperthreading necessary for video editing?
on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:59:28 am

I'm admittedly not a computer expert, but you could get the Asus p8z77-V non deluxe board for $190, and if you have the room in your case to fit it, the ASUS P8Z77-V LX is on sale for $110 at TigerDirect right now. Also, unless you plan to overclock you could forget the unlocked 'K' chips and save a few more bucks.

Return to posts index

Bryan Forth
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:15:58 pm

Thanks for your response, I will look into those other motherboards. But is hyper threading necessary for video editing? If so, what does hyperthreading do for the video editing process as opposed to a CPU that has no hyperthreading?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:58:11 am

[Bryan Forth] "But is hyper threading necessary for video editing?"

Not necessary. It helps (like a faster CPU, GPU or more memory) but not necessary. For example, a timeline that plays smoothly with hyper-threading, may be choppy without it.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bryan Forth
on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55:59 pm

Hi Alex, thanks for your explanation of hyper threading. So what you're saying is it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and perhaps have a project somewhere down the road that would benefit from a CPU with hyperthreading. This helps me out tremendously! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:09:13 pm

[Bryan Forth] "So what you're saying is it's better to have it and not need it than to not have it and perhaps have a project somewhere down the road that would benefit from a CPU with hyperthreading."

That sums it up. :)

Return to posts index

Bryan Forth
on Feb 21, 2013 at 1:13:53 am

Thanks again Alex. I really appreciate it. Have a great day!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]