FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need tips on a new video editing computer

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Forth
I need tips on a new video editing computer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:53:14 pm

I'm going to be using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 suite. I am going to be editing AVCHD video and I'm going to be doing some green screen video. I want to build a computer that will handle this video well. I was thinking a Sandy Bridge i7 with a ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard for starters, 16 gigs of RAM of what brand I don't know, and I'm really not sure about what video card to use. Is this MOBO and CPU overkill or is this a good starting point? What about the ASUS Z77 1155 series MOBOs with an i7?

This is my first computer build ( a friend of mine who's built 3 computers is going to help me with this), and I want it to be a good, balanced system with no bottlenecks. My budget is max $1500. I plan on using this computer for the next 4 to 5 years. What would you recommend?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: I need tips on a new video editing computer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:44:37 pm

Asus Z77 with an i7 processor is a great start. Get 16GB of DDR 1600 RAM. I'm a big fan of going with an SSD boot drive, but for your budget a 2TB 7200RPM drive will do the trick. Then get another pair of them and set them up as a RAID0 for all your video footage, media and projects. I'd go with a GTX570 GPU.

As always, use our latest DIY9.5 guide as a reference http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY9+Its+Time+for+Sandy+Bridge+E...

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Videoguys DIY X Ivy Bridge Budget Build - First Look
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:12:12 pm

Asus Z77 with an i& processor is a great start. Get 16GB of DDR 1600 RAM. I'm a big fan of going with an SSD boot drive, but for your budget a 2TB 7200RPM drive will do the trick. Then get another pair of them and set them up as a RAID0 for all your video footage, media and projects. I'd go with a GTX570 GPU.

I just posted this DIY X Ivy Bridge Budget Build - First Look on the Videoguys Blog.

We've been getting a ton of calls and emails form folks asking when we would post a DIY Ivy Bridge Guide. This blog post is not that, but it is what Videoguys would recommend as of today. Before we get into the build, let's talk about why we don't have our DIY 10 Ivy Bridge Guide published yet.

I'm waiting for an enthusiast level Ivy bridge Motherboard that includes integrated Thunderbolt.

I was hoping to see some from Asus later this spring. I'm a big fan of Thunderbolt, especially for video editors. It's the fastest pipe possible for data, and it gives you two dedicated channels, the sustained data rates are more than double USB3, for each channel. This year I'm expecting to see the premium for Thunderbolt devices drop significantly. Down the road I hope to see new kinds of Thunderbolt devices become available that go beyond storage and I/O, that will actually accelerate your video workflows.

http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/E/DIY+X+Ivy+Bridge+Budget+Build+++First+Look/...

Gary

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Bryan Forth
Re: Videoguys DIY X Ivy Bridge Budget Build - First Look
on Feb 14, 2013 at 4:29:19 am

Thanks for you quick response Gary. The link to the Ivy Bridge build is exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely spend the extra hundred and get the SSD boot drive though, as soon as the tax money comes in that is.

Why a 240 GB SSD, and not just a 120 GB SSD? Will a Blu-ray burner also burn DVD's?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:44:08 pm

I don;t like having too small a boot drive. Lots of programs will load in tons of graphics and files. I think for best results, a 240 / 256GB is the minimum forvideo editors.

Yes, Pioneer blu-ray burners support DVD & Blu-Ray

GAry

Return to posts index

Bryan Forth
on Feb 14, 2013 at 7:05:02 pm

Thanks Gary. I have a question about the GPU. Why is the GTX 570 your goto card as opposed to a different card in the same price range like a GTX 660 ti for example. I'm not playing devil's advocate here, I'm somewhat new to the PC side of things after being on a Mac for 7 years. This is going to be my first computer build and I'm just trying to learn.

I noticed that the GTX 570 is a 320 bit card , where I noticed some other cards that have the same video RAM are only 128 or maybe a 256 bit card. What does that bit rate mean? Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]