FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storm2 or RTX.100, Which direction to go????

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bfulover
Storm2 or RTX.100, Which direction to go????
on May 1, 2003 at 4:35:25 am

I've been reading this board, articles on each product, forums at Canopus and would like help from those who actually use these cards.

I've been leaning toward the Storm2 just because of the scalable technology and the long term life of the technology vs. the others. Plus the ability to take advantage of dual CPU systems. Although I have an dual xeon PIII, 933 system, I think it is time to build a new one customize to whatever card I buy.

Most of my stuff will be weddings, corporate videos, and several hours of unedited home Hi8 and VHS tapes.

I'm a type "A" personality, it has got to be fast. I need something that will both edit quickly and burn to DVD quickly as well. I am also one of those that needs to see it, I don't visualize very well. LOL

Quality MPEG's is important.
Customer support from the manufacturer. Can someone give their feedback on their experiences.

It might be overkill, but I hate to buy something that works, I want it to give a little more than I need.

Any suggestions on the card and the best setup for this would be appreciated. Anything from computer components to the cards themselves.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Storm2 or RTX.100, Which direction to go????
on May 2, 2003 at 2:40:37 am

Once the new Xtreme drivers are released for the X100, about the only big advantage the Canopus has is the ability to capture multiple DV streams simultaneously. The X100 can capture analog composite, s-video, and firewire. It also plays back my Premiere preview out the analog video port, so I can watch my video fullscreen on a tv monitor during editing.

Personally, the X100 currently does everything I want it to in realtime now. My editing in Premiere is realtime, including the realtime color correction that lets me easily match video from different cameras. The only thing I render now are scrolling credits, which I could use a trick to simulate using realtime offset effects, but don't bother as my dual Athlons render this quickly now.

I upgraded my RT2000 to the X100, because I wanted faster DVD transcoding. Now I get realtime transcoding using the X100.

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
Re: Storm2 or RTX.100, Which direction to go????
on May 6, 2003 at 4:13:12 am

I agree with John Q.

The RT.X100 is a very powerful, flexible and stable hardware realtime system as long as you stick to the hardware compatability list. This isn't a problem with the RT.X100 but with the inability of some chipsets/mainboards to handle high PCI to host memory bandwidths necessary to do realtime at this level.

Terry Stetler

Moderator: Digital Media Net MediaStudio Pro forum

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/disp2.fcgi?forum=uleadmediastudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]