FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Thunderbolt in its present state reliable?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Is Thunderbolt in its present state reliable?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:59:43 pm

I have a question as to whether or not thunderbolt is a reliable means of connectivity with RAID arrays directly or via mini sas interfacing. My experience with the Pegasus R4 and the Lacie thunderbolt to eSata hub has given me the impression that thunderbolt isn't quite where it needs to be yet in terms of reliability. Here's an interesting article on Apple's pursuit of patents on thunderbolt technology and the future of it for iOS devices. http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/01/apple-patents-reveal-th...

I'm about to purchase an OWC Raid with a mini sas connection and a thunderbolt PCIe expansion chassis. Anyone experiencing great reliability and performance taking this route? thanks.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Is Thunderbolt in its present state reliable?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:18:12 pm

I don't own any TB (Thunderbolt) devices but have been following LightPeak and TB development closely.

SAS is enterprise class tech, TB isn't. MiniSAS - locking heavy duty connectors rated for thousands of insertions. Don't remember the insertion number for TB but can tell you it doesn't take much to damage that connector.

That said, the tech itself is fairly straight-forward as for the most part it uses a well-established bus (PCIe, DP), just packages the connections differently. From what I hear, Thunderbolt has been quite reliable, including high-speed 8-bay arrays.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:28:56 pm

Thanks Alex. Returned my 8TB Pegasus R4.. launching forward with;

-OWC Mercury RAID Rack Pro mini-SAS 12TB / 4 Seagate Barracudas
-NWT MAXPower RAID mini-SAS 6G 2ext
-Mercury Helios Thunderbolt PCIe Expansion Chassis

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:31:25 pm

Sounds like a plan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]