FORUMS: list search recent posts

My next upgrade options

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louie Mata
My next upgrade options
on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:28:03 am

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to say that jumping in here and checking out the posts reminds me of just how simple my stuff is at the moment! I love the steep learning curve to everything though, lots of fun. So anyways, here's what I have (equipment) and what I'm doing with it. And next I'm looking to make an upgrade to help improve my video editing work.

SYSTEM Info:
* Gigabyte H55-USB3 mobo
* 8GB of RAM (2x 4GB)
* Intel i5 760 processor 2.8GHz
* Invidia GeForce 9800 GT graphics card
* Windows 7 Home 64-bit
* Editing software (don’t laugh, it’s not the high end stuff!) CyberLink PowerDirector 11 Ultimate

* Hard Drives:
- 300GB for operating system only (50GB avail)
- 1.5TB drive for storage (100GB avail)
- 3.0TB drive for storage (500GB avail)
- 3.0TB New External drive for storage (the drives above were all nearly filled) 2.3TB avail
* Video Camera: Sony HDR-SR1

So I’ve been considering options to help improve my setup, eventually I’ll have time to learn a new software program (any suggestions for the next step up from where I’m at now?).
I’m considering:

1. SSD harddrive: Crucial 500GB drive for the operating system and to move video files to while editing them. $400. I’m thinking I will have plenty of temporary storage room to do my editing work from here, then I can move them back to one of the hard drives when I’m done.

2. RAM upgrade to 16GB? I have 4 slots and I’m thinking for $50 I can buy two more 4GB memory cards. QUESTION: do I need to match the same brand as what I have? Or should I just spend $100 and buy 4 new matching 4GB memory cards?

3. RAID memory setup with 2 2TB 7200rpm drives for storage? I'm thinking that if I can use the SSD to work from then I won't need to access the hard drives to work from, only for storage.

4. Are the 2 options above the best use of my money and are there any reasons to think that an upgrade to the motherboard or processor would benefit me based on the cost to upgrade those?

Almost forgot, I have a street soccer company and we create highlight videos from our events, etc. My YouTube channel can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SoccerInSlowMotion

I feel the clarity is generally lacking considering it's HD video and I'm thinking it's due to my older camera. I know that if I crop I'm going to lose quality but I still expect better. Suggestions here?

Thanks in advance,
Louie

Return to posts index

Louie Mata
Re: My next upgrade options
on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:52:56 pm

RAM - Super Talent DDR3-1333 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Value Memory Kit - W1333UX8GV(SZ)

Apparently the RAM looks like it could use an upgrade. I'm thinking about 2 sets of these for 16GB: Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]