FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics Card recommendation, FCP7 and banding

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Graphics Card recommendation, FCP7 and banding
on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:39:05 am

I'm about to purchase a MacPro Intel Hexacore before Jan 1st comes along.. which is like in the next 2 days. Been wondering what graphics card you would recommend. I was going to install a Quadro 4000 but have heard mixed reviews regarding drivers with OSX functionality, etc. I'll be using After Effects on the machine for animation, etc. I'm still using FCP but slowly transitioning over to PPro. I heard CUDa was best for CS6 operation. Is the ATI Radeon HD 5870 great? comes stock in the MacPro. Looking for the highest performance I can get without going over $1500 if possible. If the 5870 is sweet, then I'll save soem cash. I'm presently using the 6970M 2GB in my iMac i7 quad core. It's been ok. I'm experiencign some banding in FCP7 canvas but though it was suggested a different graphics card may help that, it still may be FCP7 on Mountain Lion issue. So... looking for soem suggestions on what video card will function the best. And also if I purchase a cinema display and there's no mini video port option on the card, how will that effect things? Just some last minute advice needed... I've been studying this stuff non-stop for 48 hours.. ha.. thanks so much.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
Re: Graphics Card recommendation, FCP7 and banding
on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:43:03 pm

Let me add... What is the best video card for Animation and video editing that I can put in a 3.33Ghz 6 Core MacPro? I'm not a gamer. Want something that is geared more towards creation.

Quadro 4000?
GTX 680?

What would you recommend? thanks!

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 31, 2012 at 9:58:46 am

GTX-670, 680 (no boot screen unless it's a "modded" card), or Quadro K5000 Mac.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:43:27 pm

does the GTX680 need any modification for Mac? Seeing it as only windows compatible.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Dec 31, 2012 at 7:19:16 pm

Alex, I just decided to launch to get the business right off for 2012. Which I planned to do. I decided to stay in the Mac world. I purchased the below iMac. Doesn't seem like anyhting out there that can beat it ( in mac anyway). It's got USB3.0 ports now which is good. Plus lookign forward to thunderbolt being a viable option down the road. PLus it has the GTX 680MX card in it.. which you recommended in the last response. Been researchign this for months and especially over the last 72 hours non stop. Talking ot a lot of people. And it seems the smart move for me. As far as expansions, there are already some solutions on the horizon. Hopeing maybe even Davinci solution for the iMac down the road. The quad core is threaded to provide virtually 8 cores. Plust it has the fusion drive.

Thanks for all the help and being a soundign board these past few weeks.

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB

3TB Fusion Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Apple USB SuperDrive

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:02:57 pm

well done. That's a fully loaded iMac and you'll be able to edit some really great stuff with it. The only thing holding you back is FCP7, which will not tap into even a fraction of the power you now possess.

Now if you want to run Adobe CS6 on this new iMac, you'll get awesome results, handle native HD formats and get full integration with Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, Prelude and the full Adobe suite of products.

Of course you can also run FCPX on it if that suites your fancy. Some Pro's love it, many hate it. I like it, I'm a hack editor, but I fully understand why many of my customers do not.

Avid Media Composer will also run very well on your new iMac.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 4, 2013 at 11:09:56 pm

Thanks Gary. YEah I own CS6 and use After Effects, Photoshop, etc. Now I just need to transition over to PPro and bight the learning curve bullet. I bought a PPro keyboard so maybe that will help. Got to do it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]