I am thinking about returning my Canopus ADVC-100 capture device in and try the Matrox RT.X100.
1) Does the RT.X100 double as a DV capture card? Would there be any need to buy an extra DV card?
2) Would it capture a VHS tape as DV? (Just like feeding a VCR through a DV camcorder) The Canopus ADVC-100 can do this.
3) Can the RT.X100 make use of ANY NLE program's effects? (Such as Combustion, or any other editing program..)
1. The RT.X100 can capture composite analog, S-Video, and DV (firewire). It also simultaneously outputs the Premiere preview to the analog output, so I get to see my video fullscreen on a video monitor.
2. Analog is captured as Matrox DV format, so it will work with other DV files.
3. It comes with a slew of Matrox plugin effects for Premiere (and After Effects). Some of the Premiere effects have also been recoded to use the Matrox hardware for realtime use. If the other effects you want to use are Premiere 6 compatible plugins, then they will still work. They just won't be realtime.