FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which format? Simple camera? *groan!*

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Boyd
Which format? Simple camera? *groan!*
on Aug 7, 2012 at 5:46:33 pm

I am faced with a dilemma:

We have some business centers in Europe and S.America. We need to have a way for our centers to record 10-15 minute clips of subjects being interviewed (for training purposes), send these clips here (to the USA), view, then archive the footage (which may or may not be used for DVD later on).

I am totally at a loss about:

What format to request the footage in? I need to be able to edit and have it be decent quality (SD, HD not necessary). I'd like NTSC so I have the option to downsample to PAL...BUT:

I'm thinking back to some heinous footage that I had to deal with that was shot in Europe (with NTSC camera) but incorrect shutter speed...oh, what an ugly mess. I'd like to avoid this issue, but how to find a simple setup/routine when the folks recording are NOT professionals?

I figure they can air-mail me the data on hard-drives when collected.

Any insights? I've been pawing through forum posts/online and can't find much info.

Return to posts index

George Thompson
Re: Which format? Simple camera? *groan!*
on Aug 8, 2012 at 5:21:22 pm

Your best bet is File Format QuickTime and MPEG-4: H.264. NTSC and PAL are no more in this digital age. That was the old broadcast format that is no longer used with modern cameras. Now you will probably request 720p for HD. You need to specify a screen size and use Final Cut or Premiere to edit and output with Adobe Encore.
This should get you started.

Return to posts index

Kate Boyd
Re: Which format? Simple camera? *groan!*
on Aug 8, 2012 at 7:10:23 pm

Alas, I still have to supply centers with NTSC and PAL DVDs...not every country has the latest in computers, viewing equipment, or even internet connections :O)

Thank you for your response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]