FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC vs Mac Production Studio

COW Forums : Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Halpin
PC vs Mac Production Studio
on May 26, 2012 at 5:44:12 pm

We currently have a Mac (needs to be upgraded) with Final Cut 7 & CS 5.5 most often used.

I'm considering going to a PC platform, upgrade to CS 6. My question, what are the pros and cons? Obvious pro is a heck of a lot cheaper PC.

Can we move CS 6 and even FCP projects between a PC and Mac, if more than one creative is working on these? Or do we have to go all PC or all Mac?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: PC vs Mac Production Studio
on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:47:45 pm

I wanted to wait to answer this until we found out if Apple would be releasing a new Mac Pro. They are not, so we have to address the situation of what is the right choice today.

Mobile - Get one of the new Mac Book Pros. They look awesome. NVIDIA GPU for mercury playback with dual thunderbolt and USB3 ports.

All in one - iMac vs HP Z1.
  • iMac is more affordable and a solid choice. Lack of NVIDIA GPU is a minus.
  • HP Z1 gives you XEON processor, your choice of graphics and it is fully expandable. Minus - expensive

Desktop -
  • For the best value follow our DIY9 guide. several different builds to choose from. minus - you have to build it yourself or find someone to build it for you.
  • HP Workstaion. These are rock solid NLE beasts loaded with power and performance. You pay a premium, but for mission critical editors on a deadline, it's worth it.

Hope that helps. check out our recommended systems page for even more info

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved