FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual CPU or Real Time Video Card?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
winnipeg
Dual CPU or Real Time Video Card?
on Apr 10, 2003 at 12:49:11 am

I am building a new system and I nneed to know some things!
What I am doing is producing 30 second spots and corporate videos.
I have a P3-800 with 384 MB Ram Adobe Premiere 6.x.
i usually stack video tracks up to about 6, with fade outs. I have used some motion and some alpha key.

What I want is real time preview with no waiting even with 6 video layers and 3 audio tracks.

I have a few questions

1/If I buy a Real-Time card are all adobe Priemere effects Real Time or are there specific effects you use supplied by the card manufacturer?

2/Should I buy a Dual CPU system and a basic card like the DV500 or Matrox 2500 or a single CPU and Higher end card like the Pro One RTDV or Matrox RTX100? What would give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks Jason

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Dual CPU or Real Time Video Card?
on Apr 10, 2003 at 4:08:37 am

Matrox doesn't say how many layers the new Xtreme drivers for the RT.X100 will handle, but it might satisfy your needs. Based on what I've read thus far, it sounds like it's going to beat the Pro One and Canopus by a bunch.

I normally do two video layers with realtime color correction plus a few other effects. It has some really fancy 3-d effects that are implemented in hardware, so they're also realtime. The thing I chose the X100 for was the realtime transcoding for DVD.

If the Matrox can handle your work in realtime, then I'd recommend it with a fast single P4. If you have to do rendering, then a dual cpu machine is faster.

Return to posts index

Zakaria
Re: Dual CPU or Real Time Video Card?
on Apr 11, 2003 at 2:23:01 pm

1/If I buy a Real-Time card are all adobe Priemere effects Real Time or are there specific effects you use supplied by the card manufacturer?

Matrox RT.X100 offers 60 Premiere transitions in realtime, plus slow mo fast motion, reverse playback in realtime.

2/Should I buy a Dual CPU system and a basic card like the DV500 or Matrox 2500 or a single CPU and Higher end card like the Pro One RTDV or Matrox RTX100? What would give me the best bang for my buck?

A dual CPU system will always be faster than a single CPU system if you are using the right software that supports Multithreading.
For example, Adobe After FX and Premiere utilize both CPU's. Matrox software is true multithreaded as well.

Just to let you know, no video card can playback 6 layers of video unless you spend mucho dollars, however the RT.X100 can preview 10 layers if you want, out to TV when you scrub.

I personally am able to playback three layers of video with 1 graphic, all with effects and transperancy all in realtime :)
My system is a dual AMD 2000+ with 1 gig ram.

I strongly recommend you check out the RT.X100 Xtreme at your local video store and check out the new capabilities. You will not be dissapointed :)

Cheers,
Shlooky

----------

<*>Dual AMD MP 2000
<*>Asus A7M266-D
<*>Premiere 6.5
<*>Matrox RT.X100

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]