FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about new PC build

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Vogel
Questions about new PC build
on Mar 2, 2012 at 12:26:00 am

Hello, I've kept an eye on the Videoguys.com DIY guides for system building, and have a few questions.

First off, I'm currently thinking of pursuing the i7 2600k route since I just can't spend more than $2k at the moment.

Is there much of a difference between the P8Z68-Pro and the P8Z68-Deluxe as far as anyone knows? Also, anyone using either one of these with an i7 2600k?

Also, I'm planning to go with an SSD for the boot drive, a 256gb drive. I read some reviews of the P8Z68 on Newegg and other sites where people are having difficulties with SSD, anyone have any trouble?

I read on the Videoguys site that you're not recommending using any Raid drive setups with this motherboard and processor, is this correct? Would I just not see any performance increase at all, or would it be a decrease in speed vs lets say a 10,000 rpm SATA drive?

I'm about to order a system with the following inside, thought I'd post it here to see if anyone has any tips or suggestions.

Asus P8Z68-Pro Gen3
Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
Evga GTX 570 Video Card
Fractal Design Define R3 Case
Corsair AX750 Gold Plus Power Supply
Crucial M4 256gb SSD
GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 16gb DDR3
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB Drive

Lastly, most of my video work centers around After Effects CS5.5, and some Sony Vegas use. I edit my own HD footage (primarily green screen fun stuff) I am primarily a musician but have been working on videos quite a bit lately, and wanted to get a system to muscle out my existing Core 2 Quad system I built a million years ago now (2007). I imagine this setup will be a big leap past what I've been accustomed to. Right? Of course, the newest better thing is always around the corner, and always so much more money to get when it comes out.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Questions about new PC build
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:00:29 am

I don't forsee any issues with the Deluxe vs Pro version of Motherboard. i7 2600K is the go to processor for this mobo.

We don't recommend a 3rd party RAID controller card with this mobo. You can run a simple RAID0 off the mobo.

I've seen the reports of issues with SSDs. Not sure what that is all about. We're going to go with an SSD boot drive in our DIY9 build. I do know that some SSDs require special drivers and or bios settings/upgrades.

Good luck!

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Rich Vogel
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:09:36 am

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Anto Pigna
on Mar 2, 2012 at 9:17:37 am

Hi Gary, what do you mean for "You can run a simple RAID0 off the mobo"?
Do you mean an external firewire system or the on-board controller?

Also what do you think regarding some brand new expensive laptops being sold with 2 hard disks configured in RAID0 which run the operative system?

I read quite a lot on your web site that that configuration is best used for temporary data management so I guess I should lol at it being used to install the operative system?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Mar 2, 2012 at 2:54:50 pm

you can run an internal RAID of the Mobo, or attach an external raid via firewire or eSata.

We do not recommend running the OS on a RAID0 with HDD. EVER!

We do not have enough experience with SSD to know if this has the same risks.

Gary

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Rich Vogel
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:25:23 pm

I noticed on Newegg that there's a Barracuda ST3000DM001 SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal 3TB 7200 RPM drive for $199, a great deal for that amount of internal storage I would say. At least since the floods drive the prices up. The drive is getting good reviews, and many people are saying they're running a couple in RAID without problems. Thinking of getting two to run an internal raid, any thoughts on this?

Also wondering if some prices have just gone up on most of the items on your DIY8 list, or if I should consider one stop shopping somewhere other than Newegg? For instance, the Intel Core i7-2600k is $324.99 on Newegg, not $299. Also the X series Ripjaws 1600 memory is going for $89 rather than $57. Unless I'm not looking at the right stuff.

Lastly, I was thinking of ordering the Ripjaws X Series 16gb DDR3 1866, instead of the 1600 speed version. I am not sure how much of a difference it would make in speed, but there is a price difference, $129.99 vs $89.99. Any thoughts?

Hopefully I'm not asking too many things, just hoping to make some well informed choices before I click the "Complete Order" button and have it all shipped out to me. If I can shave a few bucks off the total that would be great. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:35:14 pm

We do not monitor and update the component prices on our build. typically they are pretty stable. Technology items have fluctuated a lot over the past year or two. I think this is ripples from the disasters that hit Japan & Thailand.

1866 is faster, but not worth almost 50% more in a budget machine.

Gary

Return to posts index

Rich Vogel
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:37:12 pm

Makes sense, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]