COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Hughes
Audio issues with a DIY Setup...
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:12:23 am

Hi guys,

Following your Oct 2011 build I put together the following system:
ASUS P8Z68-v-Pro Gen 3 Mboard
16GB G.Skill RipjawsZ RAM (verified as = RipjawsX)
Intel i7 2600K 3.4 GHz
nVidia GTX 570
OS = XP Home SP3, Editor = Pinnacle Studio 11/15
2 x SATA HDD

The issue I'm having is that since installation, the onboard Realtek audio is not working - I'm guessing nVidia HD Audio drivers have clobbered it. I've tried multiple uninstalls/reinstalls of the GPU and Motherboard audio & chipset drivers, but nothing so far has worked. I've had to resort to putting in a Creative PCI card (circa 1990) to get audio out, but obviously I don't want anything else chewing up PCI resources if I can help it. Temps are all well within spec & PSU has plenty of guts....

Any suggestions welcome,

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Hughes
Re: Audio issues with a DIY Setup...
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:15:35 am

Further info:

According to a post on NVidia forums, it is possible that connecting a DVI cable to the GTX570 will cause the NVidia drivers to route audio through the digital connection, overriding the on-board analogue output (and who doesn't want a digital video connection to their LCD??).

Connecting a normal VGA cable supposedly restores sound. I haven't had a chance to test this today but it sounds like what is happening to me. I haven't yet seen a fix for this posted anywhere.

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Brian Hughes
on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:54:59 am

.......Well, that didn't work..... Any ideas, anyone?

Return to posts index

Anto Pigna
on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:46:18 am

I have had a very similar issue with a GTX460 nVidia card, the computer was just running fine but after I installed the card and drivers the audio resulted crackling also the video featured annoying artifacts.

Deleting and upgrading the drivers showed no better result, I believe that the nVidia drivers have corrupted something in Windows' components.

After struggling many months asking people on various forums I finally met someone who is an expert regarding graphic cards, I explained the audio issue and forwarded screenshots and he assured me that the graphic card "must" be faulty and that that must was an item from a faulty production stock.
Yet my (ex) vendor has very low prices but now I understand why!

I think that the best solution is to repair Windows (or reinstall it) and install a different card.

Return to posts index

Brian Hughes
on Mar 4, 2012 at 6:07:23 am

Hi Anto,

thanks for the info. I don't think my GPU is faulty though as I haven't had any of the artefacts you mentioned - in fact it has been working very well.

I tried removing the Realtek drivers entirely, still no go. I've read a lot of people are having this issue, many with ASUS boards and a variety of GPU's and all flavours of XP, Vista and 7. In some cases GPU's and MB's have been RMA'd without success.

I have now upgraded BIOS and OS to Win 7 x64 (OEM) from scratch with a totally fresh install and still have no sound from the Realtek. Diagnostics show no problems.

I've given up and installed a cheap Soundblaster card for $35 that just works - I can't justify spending any more time on it, but if someone comes up with a fix that doesn't involve RMA'ing anything, I'll give it a go.

Cheers,
Brian

Return to posts index

Anto Pigna
on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:47:54 am

The best thing to do was to reinstall Windows (as you did) but trying a different GPU (even if much lower in specifics like a $70 card)) because these new nVidia (maybe you just got a crap one) interact too much with Windows' audio system so in this way you were 100% sure that the problem is the mainboard.

I always have a spare computer I know it got no problems (previous main system) so when these things arise I can swap hardware and find the faulty piece of crap.

I think you shouldn't struggle anymore unless you have time and money to waste by trying the above suggestion, and even so the motherboard results faulty how are you going to prove that? They can always say that the motherboard is "ok" so you'll get it back plus you spend more money on delivering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]