FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to capture analog video

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
timberwolf
How to capture analog video
on Apr 5, 2003 at 1:56:25 pm

Hi all

Thought I'd share my experience of capturing analog video into the PC with you.

If you only have an analog camera, you can still get started in digital video for dirt cheap. How?

Most likely, the answer is hidden by a small panel on your camera. Behind this panel are the jacks that allow you to export and import audio and video footage from/to external sources. You can connect an external microphone to the microphone jack, you can connect a set of headphones or a small amp to the headphone jack, and most important, you can connect external analog video equipment to your camera using the audio/video cables supplied with your camera.

Two Common Types of Analog Audio/Video Connections:

1) Composite Video Output:
Component Video jacks look like the standard audio/video cables that can be found on most VCR's and an ever-increasing amount of television sets.

Usually, a yellow cable carries the video signal, and the red and white cables carry the two audio channels (right and left).

2) Super-Video (aka S-Video):
S-video cables carry separate chroma and luminance signals but not no audio. They allow for better transfer of audio and video quality. Below you can see an S-video connector, and an S-video cable.

Look closely at the slots in the connector, and that will be what you should have on your camera. If you can do it, I would recommend using S-video to transfer video signals. However, you may find it much, much easier to stick with the standard A/V (yellow white red) cables as you can hook up your videos to practically anything.

Read more about this at my website:
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/capturing-analog-video-part1.html

Best Regards,
Gary Hendricks
http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
Learn how to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]