FORUMS: list search recent posts

WAV Freezes During Analog Capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronmio
WAV Freezes During Analog Capture
on Apr 3, 2003 at 11:07:10 pm

When doing an analog capture using the Matrox RT.X10, recording of the audio portion would always stop after 14 minutes (+- 15 seconds). The AVI would continue to record flawlessly, but the WAV file would never get past the 14 minutes (160MB +-2MB).

After numerous suggested modifications (move the RT.X10; uninstall that, turn off this; remove these devices; etc.) -- based on the assumption that my P4 2.4gHz, XP Pro system just couldn't keep up -- I was getting no where.

At that point my system was virtually identical to the configuration that Matrox had tested and certified. After 50+ hours of troubleshooting, it seemed like a dead end for me, and I assumed I would be RMAing the RT.X10. However, on that "I give up" call, it was suggested that maybe the onboard audio C-Media AC-97 device was unable to keep up with the conversion of the analog audio into a 16-bit, 48kHz .WAV. The final recommendation (isn't it ALWAYS the last one that works) was to install a SoundBlaster Live card. Fortunately my motherboard, an ASUS P4S8X, will support a sound card; many MB's that have onboard audio can't be configured for a sound CARD.

That did the trick. After all that time, and an extra $80, analog capture now works perfectly ... even after reinstalling all the hardware and software removed/disabled earlier.

Either the Matrox test suite just didn't include checking the captured WAV that far into a clip or there are some minute differences (e.g., BIOS version) between their test system and my P4S8X that a sound card resolves.

I hope this saves others from the frustration I went through.

Return to posts index

newguy
Re: WAV Freezes During Analog Capture
on Apr 5, 2003 at 4:39:44 am

the same things with Avid + IBM system (sound card built-in) :) It said "no sound card", but the built-in sound card just works alright :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]