FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop NLE - GPU and HD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Stevens
Laptop NLE - GPU and HD
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:12:50 am

Hello all. I have two questions regarding my new laptop build for NLE - using Cyberlink Powerdirector 9 and Adobe Premiere Pro (I'm considering Vegas as an alternative) doing editing of HD videos. I have no idea about 3D video editing but would love to buy a 3D camcorder when they get better and try this editing as well.

Here is a quick snapshot of my build:

Cleveo P170HM3D
CPU: 2760QM (replacing the 2720QM)
3D Matte HD Monitor for this 17" laptop
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580M or GTX 560M???
RAM: 16GB 1600
HD 1: SSD (either Crucial M4 256GM SATA 3 or Intel 320 300GB SATA 2)
HD 2 & 3: WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm in RAID 0 config

Here are my two questions:
1. How much more benefit am I going to get from 580M vs 560M with the above programs. Any thoughts about future editions of these programs possibly taking more advantage of the 580M more than they do today?

2. I heard lots of things about SSDs both good and bad for video editing. My thought is to use the SSD as a read drive (source files and temp cache files) and use RAID 0 as the render drive - then backup my final project to an external hard drive. Crucial performs better than this Intel. Is 256GB enough? I had heard from places I whould aim to have 100GB free for certain programs that heavily use C: for cache files.

Thanks,

Charles

Return to posts index

Charles Stevens
Re: Laptop NLE - GPU and HD
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:16:32 am

For got to mention size of the RAID 0 drives: 500GB each.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Laptop NLE - GPU and HD
on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:30:33 pm

that's a nice machine. the 560M/580M are going to give you excellent Mercury Playback in Premiere CS5/5.5. I would go with the 580 if it's just a few bucks more. If it's over $50, stick with the 560M

I'm a fan of SSDs, especially in laptops. You'll boot up in a fraction of the time, and programs open instantly. Because of their relative small size and cost per GB, we do not recommend them for your video storage. stick with the RAID0 you have.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]