FORUMS: list search recent posts

Minimum System Requirements for Capture HDV

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
Minimum System Requirements for Capture HDV
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:45:23 pm

I've had no success capturing HDV from a rented canon HV40. Not sure whether I have to change something, rent a much more expensive camera, or a different computer. (Or all....)

Am I asking too much attempting to get it into a P4 3GHZ with 4GB Ram onto a 7200 rpm SATA drive (a system which only plays HD with a serious stutter?) HDV-downresed-to-DV-in-camera import works from this footage from the HV40; but for HDV input PPro says device offline, with inactive record and in/out buttons. Maybe no surprise there as the system is below PPro's HD editing requirements (though I believe capturing isn't as system-intensive as playback/editing). However, the system meets HDVsplit's minimum, and HDVSplit says "Capture Device Offline" with the HV40 also.

HDV input troubles from the HV40 isn't unusual, a websearch reveals, but I've tried all the fixes reported to solve the problem on various forum posts:

camera output to HDV/DV (not DVlock)- check.
try two different firewire cords - check (besides, it works for SD)
camera record mode to same mode (1080 24F) as playback - check
turn off camera and turn on again - check
camera playback standard set to auto or HDV (not DV)- check
camera-specific capture drivers installed on computer - check (canon site says not required)
computer's IEEE 1394 drivers current/reinstalled - check
PPro project setting matched to HDV footage res/framerate - check (tried every other project setting too.)
HV40 compatible with footage (1080p 24F shot on XHA1)? - Canon tech tells me so on their phone line.
Ppro a fresh install? - check

Thoughts?

(Why do I want HDV on a system that won't play it? To check selected individual frames - I can see those on the system - to weed-out possible focus problems invisible in the SD versions with which I"m off-lining the editing)

(and yes, I'm shopping for a solid state camera)

Return to posts index

david grantham
Re: Minimum System Requirements for Capture HDV
on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:01:48 pm

PS: using XPpro Sp3

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:53:14 pm

What version of Premiere are you using? Any version after CS3 should have no issues at all capturing HDV via firewire - on a current computer.

Your computer is pretty old and slow compared to anything recent. You simply don;t have the horsepower for HD work.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:54:14 pm

Thanks gary.

I'm using CS4.

Shouldn't HDVSplit should be able to capture it? My system meets thei minimum, but still no camera recognition. Seems like something's amiss.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:04:33 pm

It could be in the firewire connectivity.

have you tried another firewire port on the computer?
Have you tried the camcorder with another computer?

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:08:36 pm

Thanks. The computer has only the one firewire port, which is on the sound card and works to ingest down-resed DV from this camera.

It's the only working firewire port in my house.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]