FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which edit suite is more efficient and responsive for AVCHD? Avid or Adobe?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Wine
Which edit suite is more efficient and responsive for AVCHD? Avid or Adobe?
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:06:15 pm

I'll try to get to the point.

Using FCP 7, It's easy to import AVCHD and transcode to Apple Pro Res then edit HD effectively and efficiently like I was editing Standard Definition DV using only one 7200rpm hard-drive. Yeah, it's that efficient.

Now I feel uneasy about FCP-X, considering you have no – true Bin and file - control management, considering the computer wants to manage these files and not the user. Another topic for a later time.

So now I need to find an editor that will be able to edit AVCHD efficiently.

I have the old version of Adobe and Avid, but can only upgrade one.

My version of Avid and Adobe is the 4.0. Yet neither of them seem to run AVCHD efficiently.

I get that stupid red line Adobe seems to give for any format you use – needing to render; then Avid seems completely confused about AVCHD.

I understand that I have the older versions and the new versions may have resolved this, but that's why I am posting this. I don't know.

Again, Using FCP 7, It's easy to import AVCHD and transcode to Apple Pro Res then edit HD effectively and efficiently like I was editing Standard Definition DV using only one 7200rpm hard-drive.

Does Avid or Adobe now have a platform to edit AVCHD efficiently?

My computer specs:

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors
6GB (6x1GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory
640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200 rpm
3 TB Storage – No raid Configuration
18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Which edit suite is more efficient and responsive for AVCHD? Avid or Adobe?
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:48:53 pm

For native AVCHD support you need to get on Adobe CS5 or CS5.5. You will see a remarkable difference, as long as you give the Mercury Playback engine all the power it needs. That includes an NVIDIA based GPU with at least 192 CUDA cores and 1GB+ of RAM - like a Quadro4000 or older Quadro FX4800.

Avid MC5.5 does not edit AVCHD natively, but it can encode it into DNxHD for editing. Similar tot he process with ProRes for FCP7.

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]