FORUMS: list search recent posts

i7 build thoughts/suggestions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lionel hutz
i7 build thoughts/suggestions
on May 16, 2011 at 4:03:48 pm

Hey, about to buy a new set up. Any thoughts/feedback/suggestions would be much appreciated. I am primarily going to be working with CS5 for video editing/composing.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=1749...

Thanks

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: i7 build thoughts/suggestions
on May 16, 2011 at 6:45:19 pm

Lionel,

Are you planning to overclock the CPU at all? If so, then you will need a higher-end motherboard than the P8P67 LE. That motherboard cannot be set to a specific manual CPU voltage setting - only CPU voltage offsets are offered at all on that motherboard. As a result, overclocking stability with the P8P67 LE will be worse than with a more expensive Asus motherboard with the same P67 chipset.

In addition, I would recommend more hard drives than the two that you have on that wish list: Two physical hard drives (one for the OS and programs, the other for everything else) is the absolute minimum that's required by Adobe for its Premiere Pro CS5.x.

Return to posts index

lionel hutz
on May 16, 2011 at 6:48:01 pm

thank you for the reply. is RAID required with more hard drives, or can I just use them independently. I have been reading and trying to figure all of this out. I am a hobbyist video editor and want to start getting more involved with after effects. I am under no deadlines, so if the only benefit of RAID is increased speed, then I may not need it?

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on May 17, 2011 at 1:28:32 am

Lionel,

You can set the additional drives up as individual drives or link pairs of them in a RAID 0. It depends primarily on your video workflow: If all you're going to be doing is converting standard-definition DV to standard-definition MPEG-2 DVD, you don't need RAID 0. But if you're going to be working with high-definition video formats, such as DVCPRO or AVCHD, then a RAID 0 pair or two will help.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 5, 2011 at 6:34:34 pm

July 2011 Update - Getting closer with the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard

I'm still not ready to recommend Sandy Bridge or the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard yet for our more advanced editors. If you think you are going to be using one of our advanced NLEs such as Avid or Adobe or Edius or Vegas with hardware I/O and /or a RAID, stick with our DIY8 Core i7 Hex core. However:

- If you plan on using one of these NLEs for DV, HDV or tapeless workflows like AVCH or DSLR footage; and you do not plan on adding an I/O card, then Sandy Bridge is worth considering.

- If you use consumer level video editing apps like Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Premiere Elements then Sandy Bridge is a very good choice for you.

- We are going to keep watching Sandy Bridge and the newest chipset, if it meets our expectations, we will begin our DIY9 build around it. That said, I really want to see a Sandy Bridge motherboard with integrated Thunderbolt!

We've updated our DIY article to reflect this change and we've posted a new recommneded Sandy bridge build in addtion to teh budget and Hot Rod builds. Click here to check out Videoguys DIY8 Hex Core - July Update

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]