FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY8 970 vs. 2600K, and GTX480

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vjahm
DIY8 970 vs. 2600K, and GTX480
on Apr 20, 2011 at 2:31:43 am

Hi,

My app is video art. I tend to edit 2 to 4 layers, compositing, XYZ layer transforms in space, transitions, very little color correction). Low volume of rendering each week. I shoot Canon 1920x1080 H.264.
I'm about to buy parts on a DIY8, pretty much as Videoguys suggest (24GB, Win7 64-bit, MXO2, GTX 470 or 480, CS5, 3 HD non-RAID to start). In future I won't need lots of RAID. I'm gonna start with a stock system and overclock later.

So from other threads in this forum (and my budget) I hear that SB 2600(K) is ready for prime time now, so I figure I could buy either;
- a 2600(K) Quad core on P67A-GD* MOBO or
- a i7-970 Hex core on a P6X58D-E.

I'm looking for advice on how these two stack up against each other for my apps.
1) Are these comparable in stock performance?
2) Does one win over the other when OC'd?
3) Is either one harder to configure/tune than the other?
Any benchmarks or anecdotal info is greatly appreciated.

Also, I assume both GTX480 and or GTX470 work equally well, is that correct.

Thanks for your help,
vjahm

Return to posts index

ScottP
Re: DIY8 970 vs. 2600K, and GTX480
on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10:18 pm

I'm in the same boat you are in right now. I'm evaluating which to go with: 2600K Quad core or i7-970 Hex core

There are limitations with the 2600 regarding PCI-E, though significant price savings. I've been told that they have similar performance in Premiere Pro. I'm not sure how the performance differs outside of Premiere though, such as 3D Studio MAX, ect... I'm weighing how the limitations could potentially interfere with future upgrades, IE: Adding a Raid / SCSI controller.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in this area will speak up, because I am curious as well!

Scott

Return to posts index

vjahm
on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:07:43 pm

I see I'm guilty of posting an already answered question. So many threads, so little ability to absorb it all. In the DIY8 Updates thread Jcschild (Scott ADK) said that "stock to stock the 2600 is right up there with the 980X" so that would indicate that it beats the 970 we were looking at.

Also, on a closer read of other threads here I see that tons of benchmarks for CS5 are posted at http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html.
Duh!

So now to clock or overclock, that is my quandry.

I've heard opposing viewpoints. On one hand that overclocking attempts have ended in abject failure and it will degrade longevity of components (CPU, RAM, MOBO). Others say there is no downside to overclocking a 2600K, you just have to do it right. If I can decode the "do it right" clues, and I think they have been posted here, I'll probably go that route.

vjahm

Return to posts index

ScottP
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:45:10 pm

Hi Vjahm:

Yes! There is alot of info to absorb! Im guilty of not absorbing it all too! Haha.

I think I'm leaning to the 2600K at this point. I've priced out the 970 and it would be several hundred dollars more then the 2600K. The main reason I was leaning to the 970 was to be able to have upgrade room with the PCI-E data lanes. IE: If I wanted to add an external RAID card. Im still not clear on what the limitations of the 16 data lanes would be with external cards on the 2600K.

I've seen the same information regarding over clocking. I've never built an overclocked system, believing it would create an unstable mess with shortened life span. Jcschild (Scott ADK) has convinced me to look into this, especially with the 2600k as they overclock nicely. Just as long as I can figure out the secret sauce for a stable, cool, long lifespan computer, I will overclock.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:12:10 pm

yes done right its a wonderful thing.. been selling OCed systems since 97

here is a link for OCing
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guid...

i didnt look thru the whole thing but a quick glance seems correct..

not sure about the c-states however..

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]