FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY8 updates?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BigBadFun
DIY8 updates?
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:19:39 am

Hi VideoGuys.

Firstly, thank you so much for the helpful advice you provide. I love the way you methodically have laid out the DIY advice - it has taught me a lot and much appreciated.

I am looking at building something along the lines of the DIY8 over the next few months but my head is starting to hurt as I research the recommended processors currently available.

I am looking for a rock solid AVCHD video editing machine with grunt. Not a lot of multiple streams of HD, but want to have speedy color correction, 3rd party filters, Magic Bullet etc without waiting too long for renders.

I think I am looking at the ASUS P6X58D-E with the 980x processor, MXO Mini and GTX480 but are waiting for your latest update to the DIY project for final advice.

Any idea when your next update will be?

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: DIY8 updates?
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:45:59 pm

unless you need a large raid array that requires an expensive dedicated raid card
you are better off with the 2600k and over clock it to 4.5GHz.
even stock to stock the 2600 is right there with the 980x

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

BigBadFun
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:50:49 am

Hi Scott - thanks for that.

The last update in January for the VideoGuys lads was....

"I am concerned about the integrated graphics capability of the Sandy Bridge CPU. For years we have been warning against using motherboards with integrated graphics for NLE. I'm just not sure how this will effect the current generation of video ediitng apps, or if it will create conflicts with CUDA based graphics cards. I have also heard reports of PCIe bus limitations with the chipsets that could cause potential problems for video editors needing I/O hardware and external RAID storage."

This is why I'm kind of waiting for some indication that everything works nicely with the Mercury Engine and nVidia recommendations rather than just charge in and have everything collapse on me.

So just waiting for a nicely tested, certified and recommended DIY8 or DIY9 I guess...

Return to posts index

ronen gur arye
u Said 2600 better then 980
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:00:28 pm

this one is for jcschild
u Said 2600(Overclockd) better then 980
but just for an encoding video point of view the 980's got 6 cores vs the 4 cores of the 2600's,isn't that makes him faster?having more cores means faster encoding right?

thanks for your response

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:53:15 pm

BigbadFun: Hi Scott - thanks for that.

The last update in January for the VideoGuys lads was....

"I am concerned about the integrated graphics capability of the Sandy Bridge CPU. For years we have been warning against using motherboards with integrated graphics for NLE. I'm just not sure how this will effect the current generation of video ediitng apps, or if it will create conflicts with CUDA based graphics cards. I have also heard reports of PCIe bus limitations with the chipsets that could cause potential problems for video editors needing I/O hardware and external RAID storage."

This is why I'm kind of waiting for some indication that everything works nicely with the Mercury Engine and nVidia recommendations rather than just charge in and have everything collapse on me.

So just waiting for a nicely tested, certified and recommended DIY8 or DIY9 I guess...

guess you have not clicked my profile..
1) with SB systems you do not have to use the intergrated video.. that would be a very bad idea for video.
P67 (requires a video card) or for that matter the H67 you can add a dedicated video card like the 570.

these systems are very well qualified, i have been shipping them since Jan.

most editors have no need for large raid arrays (8 drive)
AVCHD and even red 4k (barely) will run great on 2 sets raid 0.

those who need a dedicated raid card for 8 drive or larger have to go to X58 or Dual Xeon. realistically anyonw who needs an 8 drive raid should be on a Xeon anyway as you are doing uncompressed or red4k and lots of effects.

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Jcschild
Re: u Said 2600 better then 980
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:02:46 pm

gooryon: this one is for jcschild
u Said 2600(Overclockd) better then 980
but just for an encoding video point of view the 980's got 6 cores vs the 4 cores of the 2600's,isn't that makes him faster?having more cores means faster encoding right?

thanks for your response

more cores does not win over GHZ everytime.

EG: it takes a dual 12 core Xeon @ 2.93GHz (or higher) to beat a 980x.

the 980x 6 core will beat a 2.8GHz dual 12 core in most workflows.

lets look at the 4core SB vs the 6 core 980x.

Premiere Pro CS5 Version 5.0.3 Testing
Video material - AVCHD 1080P 24 Frame Each Cut to 30 minutes of material
Export Codec - H264 HDTV 1080P 24 Preset Default
4 Effects per Layer - Fast Color Corrector, Brightness & Contrast, Video Limiter, Sharpen
Each Layer Scaled to 50% for 4 frame PinP view.

4 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in 2 Raid 0 arrays
in both systems
note the 980x has a better video card yet the SB system still beat it

I7 2600K 3.4GHZ Turbo to 4.7GHz
16GB Blackline 1600 CL 9
470GTX
3 Layer - 31:35
4 Layer - 34:35

I7 980X 4GHZ
12GB Blackline 1600 CL 9
570GTX
3 Layer - 32:30
4 Layer - 35:25

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

BigBadFun
on May 16, 2011 at 11:02:42 pm

Hi there,

I've decided ASUS P6X58D-E with the 980x processor, MXO Mini and GTX480 is the way to go for my purposes.

Should I be buying now, or should I make my current system last for another 12 months because of this Thunderbolt stuff?

Do I need Thunderbolt for wedding and low-end corporate work?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]