FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMD CPU problems

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Newsome
AMD CPU problems
on Mar 25, 2011 at 1:25:19 am

I was building a cheap system for a friend and I have found out that AMD has a problem with it's memory controller. It doesn't like RAM above 1066 speed. So I do not recommend any system with a AMD CPU.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: AMD CPU problems
on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:57:26 am

LeeAVP,

How many sticks of RAM did you install in that AMD system? (With four sticks of RAM, the AMD memory controller would default to 1066.)

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:57:37 am

2 x2GB Kingston 1600 speed which would auto to 1333 but still lock up. It was an easy fix, but sad you can't run at full speed. I suppose I could go buy the "recommended" RAM but historically RAM is RAM as long as you don't buy the cheap generic stuff.
Not worth swapping now.. they only do office and web stuff.

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:29:02 am

LeeAVP: 2 x2GB Kingston 1600 speed which would auto to 1333 but still lock up. It was an easy fix, but sad you can't run at full speed. I suppose I could go buy the "recommended" RAM but historically RAM is RAM as long as you don't buy the cheap generic stuff.
Not worth swapping now.. they only do office and web stuff.

Funny that you mentioned this, but my first Intel i7 system would crash at any speed - even 800 speed. That was until I discovered that the RAM that I had at the time was faulty.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:18:16 pm

I memtest everything I build, so I know in advance that the RAM is stable.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Mar 25, 2011 at 12:26:20 pm

FYI i have no issues running any system @ 1600 Intel or AMD.

1) bad choice of motherboard
2) bad choice of ram (or both)

ram spec and even more so the sub timings need to be correct. if not you have to manually set the ram timings.

the ram may be fine technically (no bad sectors) but that does not mean its not bad ram (as in crap ram with crap timings)
did you try XMP profile? only the higher end kingston has XMP and they are not know for good ram.

Mushkin, Super Talent, Corsair maybe gskill.

(ram is not ram) that was true 3 gens ago not any more..
Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:20:48 pm

both 1 & 2.
it was a Micro Center special
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H and AMD Phenom II X4 840 for $140

Kingston HyperX Blu (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 for $35 after mail in rebate. (newegg) and should be XMP RAM

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:34:18 pm

LeeAVP,

This is your problem right there. AMD platforms do not support XMP overclock profiles at all. XMP is developed for Intel platforms. AMD had a similar but incompatible memory overclock profile called BEMP; however, AMD seems to have stopped supporting it. As a result, with that AMD system the users are stuck with running that RAM at 1333 or 1066 speed unless they have the know-how to properly set the timings and miscellaneous setting manually.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:40:02 pm

Problem solved- MOBO was defective. I usually find them to be DOA or just fine.. not something in between.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]