FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on RAID Configuration (New Build)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TravisT
Advice on RAID Configuration (New Build)
on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:55:06 am

I'm new here, as well as new to video editing in general. I've been eyeing up the DIY7 (I think) since early 2009, and finally was able to build an i7 machine that I hope will work out ok.

I deviated a little bit on parts due to price, but since I'm such a newbie when it comes to video editing, it was hard for me to justify things such as a workstation video card when I'm not sure how much I would really get out of it. Check my signature for my build specs. (I'll update them shortly).

Anyway, I have several hard drives available and was hoping to get advice on the best way to set these up for performance. Right now I have 3 160G seagate 7200RPM drives in a RAID0 array (using the onboard controller), and suprisingly my WEI score for hard drive was 5.9! My lowest score otherwise is a 7.5. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I thought the raid 0 would perform better.

I've read several posts and will read more, but if there are any suggestions as to how to set this up with what I have, I'd like to hear them. I have two unused drives (1-200G, 1-250G) that can be thrown into this. Both are 7200RPM Seagates. Just looking for recommendations so I can get a good baseline and get to editing!

TravisT

Return to posts index

TravisT
Re: Advice on RAID Configuration (New Build)
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:03:31 am

Also should mention I have a 4TB RAID 5 NAS that I'm using for Media Storage, Backups, etc that I'm using over a Gigabit LAN.

I'm leaning towards using the 1-250G drive for the OS and the three 160's in RAID 0 for video editing, etc on the local machine. When I'm done editing, I can copy the finished product to the NAS.

I may have to upgrade drives to something larger than 160G in the near future, but I'm trying to utilize what I have as much as I can. The majority of the video I'll be working with is AVCHD from a Canon HF100, in case that's important in making a recommendation. Mainly short clips of the family.

I can also increase disk space in the NAS, but since that runs 24/7 I'd like to limit the amount of disks/heat/power that that is using where possible.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Feb 24, 2011 at 3:08:32 pm

HI Travis,

drive set ups shold look like this

1)OS/ programs single drive
2) media/work drive
3) final render/export.

2 and 3 can be single or sets of raid 0/raid 5
2 and 3 need to be balanced and equal.

you never want to read and write from the same drive unless its a large (8+) drive array

using older 160's that are slow wont give much in the way of speed
should be 32 or 64meg cache Sata drives that are new
AVCHD should have 2 sets raid 0 however if for home use you can get away with 2 single drives

the nas is great for back up!

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

TravisT
on Feb 24, 2011 at 3:33:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, Scott!

I'm thinking of moving the OS to the 250G drive for now, set the three 160s in RAID 0 and go with that. As cheap as drives are, I'll upgrade the 160s to two 1TB drives. I won't RAID any of the drives, and I'll see how that works for me. Any thoughts on improving the WEI score for the OS drive, or should I even worry about that? Is it just because of the age/features of the drive? I guess I expected an increase since I'm running RAID 0, but doesn't seem to change things much.

In the mean time, are there any good workflows for AVCHD? I saw there weren't many posts in that forum? I hated using the software that came with the camera because it always gave me problems.

Return to posts index

Jcschild
on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:58:10 pm

for avchd with a minimal system i would look at Cineform neo scene. $99

as to your OS drive i would never do an install of windows to a drive that was not new (within 6 months or less)
but you do have a nas storage so you could image your OS every week..
( i do this anyway)

Scott
ADK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]