FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie (ish) wanting to get more serious

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bcdenman
Newbie (ish) wanting to get more serious
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:16:48 pm

Hi everyone,

1st time poster. Just a consumer/enthusiast but finally decided it's time to get serious about doing something with all the family video I've been capturing off various sources for the past number of years. Sources include:

- Older Sony HDR-HC3 1080i HDV
- Panasonic Lumix ZS3 (AVCHD Lite)
- GoPro HD wearable camera (720p H.264)
- Canon EOS 2Ti

Want to do some basic editing and keep resolution/quality as close to original as possible. Playback will be a mix of within home network streamed from Windows Home Server to media player devices at a couple TVs (Popcorn Hour A-110s) or web uploaded for sharing with family on Vimeo. Might also start burning to BR to share with family.

Feeling like I need to invest in reasonable quality NLE system that will allow easy input of various native formats from sources above (or future sources). Simple stuff after that. Clip/merge into some themed projects but hope to do it without huge processing overhead on editing & output. Not much experience with any editing software tools (dabbled in some consumer level stuff with SD video a few years back) but willing to get into it. Without knowing much about the main players, been leaning towards CS5.

Thoughts given the above context about which software I should consider?

I've started piecing together some DIY components (as I come across reasonable deals here in Canada) for a new system to run the software. I'm not sure about a few decisions (Case, PSU, GPU). I would appreciate any thoughts/comments:

- Sandybridge 2500K or 2600K (would love to save the $ and go with the 2500K if more than adequate). Also don't know much about overclocking or cooling options beyond stock (required?)
- ASUS P8P67 Pro
- G.SKILL Value Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT - PURCHASED for $123
- 60GB SSD (Gen1) - PURCHASED for $43
- 2 x WD Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache - PURCHASED for $182
- GPU min 1GB DDR5 - GTX 460, 465, 470, 560?? Would any be fine? Just look for best deal?
- Case - I have an Antec 900 (v1) here that I could re-use but I've read can be limiting for NLE system re: physical size of graphics card. This one fine? Or thoughts on a good case that won't break the bank?
- PSU - Had been looking at this Corsair which I can get for $110. CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS. Just wasn't sure if I should whether I should spend a bit more (or look for different deal) to go with a modular PSU to reduce cable complexity.
- Optical Drive - Haven't gotten into the world of BR at all but perhaps just go with the BDR-206 from DIY8 specs.
- Win 7 Home Premium 64bit - I have an extra license available from family pack

Thanks for any thoughts you have as I continue to shop for my system.

Dennis

Return to posts index

RJL0365
Re: Newbie (ish) wanting to get more serious
on Apr 3, 2011 at 1:48:48 am

Dennis,

Sorry that I'm two months late into this discussion. But the P67/H67 chipsets (the originally released B2 stepping) had been recalled due to performance degradation issues with the SATA 3.0 Gbps ports (there are four of those ports that are natively supported by the P67/H67's PCH, while the two primary SATA ports are of the SATA 6.0 Gbps variety). Since that time, the new B3 stepping of those chipsets have started shipping. Right now, there are limited stocks of these motherboards, with many more arriving later this month.

That said, I am the proud owner of the i7-2600K and P8P67 Pro (with the newer B3 stepping of the P67 chipset) combo. I'm glad I chose it over the i5-2500K for this editing system because of my test results: The 2500K is about 20% to 25% slower than the 2600K in CS5 when both CPUs are running at their stock speeds. What's more, the 2500K does not scale as well as the 2600K in CS5 when both CPUs are heavily overclocked.

As for cooling:

The stock coolers that ship with both CPUs are rather mediocre for cooling even at stock speeds. I'd recommend spending the extra $30 or so for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus if you're going to overclock beyond about 3.8GHz or so. You'd have to tweak certain voltages in the UEFI BIOS in order to overclock beyond 4.2 ~ 4.3 GHz with these CPUs, but I found my maximum comfort spot at 4.7GHz with a CPU core voltage set to 1.375V (stock is variable from about 0.9V to 1.25V).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]