FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY 7.7 question on G-SPEED eS 4TB Enterprise w/PCIe card

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
just home movies
DIY 7.7 question on G-SPEED eS 4TB Enterprise w/PCIe card
on Dec 31, 2010 at 4:56:11 am

My brother-in-law and I just put together the DIY 7.7 computer as per your recommendations. He questioned why the G-SPEED unit was specified when the Motherboard and Antec case is set up for RAID. I could have installed two 2 TB drives for a lot less money.
Please explain your thoughts on the G-Speed recommendation for a new computer. Everything else is great so far. Thanks for your expertise. Tony

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DIY 7.7 question on G-SPEED eS 4TB Enterprise w/PCIe card
on Jan 3, 2011 at 1:11:59 am

we recommend the g-speed for it's raid 5 capability. that gives you redundancy and throughput.

An internal raid is a very good option as well. It's up to you.

One fo the big advantages of an external rais for us is that we can move it from system to system.

Gary

Return to posts index

just home movies
on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:12:40 am

Thank you for the reply. The external drives would not be important to me since I only have one system at home. Thanks again. Tony

Return to posts index

RJL0365
on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:21:29 am

just home movies: Thank you for the reply. The external drives would not be important to me since I only have one system at home. Thanks again. Tony

Actually, the onboard RAID controllers on motherboards get seriously bogged down when asked to handle more than three or four drives in a single array: Their CPU utilization, especially in RAID 5, is extremely high - and your video editing programs might not run well or at all when the drives in the RAID 5 array is being accessed! And RAID 0 offers no redundancy or parity at all whatsoever, which means that everything on ALL of the drives in the array is permanently lost when only ONE of the drives fails! RAID 1 merely mirrors the contents of both drives, and unless used in combination with RAID 0 (which also requires a minimum of two drives - and therefore creating a RAID 0+1, or RAID 10, array that requires a minimum of four drives), RAID 1 offers no performance increase whatsoever over a single drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]